Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Capsule Review: Sex and the City

Movie: Sex and the City
Director/Studio: Michael Patrick King / New Line
10 Word Review: Exactly everything you'd want or expect, plus one more hour.

Best Thing About It: So in accordance with international guidelines, here's where I talk about My History With The Show: I watched it some. I liked it okay. My problems with it never seemed to match the more commonly stated ones. I was fine with the promiscuity, the materialism, the ham-handed vulgarity, even (uh...eventually) with Sarah Jessica Parker, both as actress and fashion icon. I just thought the writing was too broad, the jokes too groan-worthy, the characters too broad to be taken as seriously and exalted as much as it was. On the other hand, the thing I liked most about the show was that it was such a cartoon, I'm just not sure if it deserved Emmys and shit. Anyway, the best thing about the movie version is that it delivers exactly what it promises, doesn't try to broaden its scope too much and tax the thinly-drawn characters. There's fucking, there's fashion (I didn't even know I liked fashion montages), there's friendship, there...are other things that start with "f." Like "four-astride," considering there are no less than three dozen glamor shots of the ladies strutting down some Manhattan avenue, hogging the whole sidewalk. Or "fan-friendly." This movie is treated like a gift for the fans, and since that's pretty much what it is (and what boosted its box-office last weekend), it's hard not to declare it a complete success. It's like watching a season of the TV show in the theater. Of course...

Worst Thing About It: ...That's the problem, too. It's a whole season's worth of story in one mammoth, overlong movie. And it's not just that my leg fell asleep (though it did), but the story felt meandering. Often. Like we were killing time on the way to the ending(s) we all saw coming. And Jennifer Hudson, God love her, still hasn't nailed down the whole "acting" thing yet either.

Best Performance: As I said before, I have really come to appreciate Sarah Jessica Parker (I officially gave up the "horseface" jokes once that friggin' Maxim story came out and I began to feel too fratty for comfort). But for whatever reason, I grew to appreciate Kim Cattrall during the course of this movie. On the show, she always played things with the broadest interpretation possible. She hasn't exactly gotten a whole lot subtler (maybe it's that Kristen Davis decided to morph into Fran Drescher for the film and Kim benefited by comparison), but she resonated far more strongly now that she ever has.

Oscar Prospects: Patricia Field, your time has come. I mean, right?

Grade: B


T-Square said...

Frankly, I think the whole Louise character was a stretch to begin with, so while I'm not all "woo! Jennifer Hudson!", it's not like she had a juicy, Oscar-worthy role on the page, and all she had to do was put a little oomph into it - Louise was a time suck.

As for Pat Field, hells yes! And props for bringing in Christian LaCroix wedding couture in a wildly optimistic gesture.

jessica said...

SPOILER ALERT (Although seriously, if you're reading comments on a movie review post, it's your own damn fault.)

I was actually disappointed with Samantha's storyline more than anyone else's (though I do suppose she's given more to do than Charlotte, whose highlight was poop). I just felt that Samantha regressed back to "relationships are confining," when her more legitimate gripe should've been that she and Smith had grown apart. It's not that she wanted to cheat because that's who she is; she wanted to cheat because Smith was no longer there for her on an emotional level (hence also, the emotional eating which was addressed in a very weird, ham-handed way). So all the growth I felt she achieved by the end of the series had wasted away by the end of the film.

And yeah, Jennifer Hudson's Louise was pretty useless from conception to execution.

AB and the Bear Suits said...

Did anyone else feel like Samantha's part was written as though they'd planned on going ahead without her? Like she'd just be there in spirit, complete with Return-of-Chefifed phone calls.