Friday, May 30, 2008

'Round Springfield XVIII: Rise and Shine

A quick catch-up of everything I'd been reading while counting down to Lost last night:

I have to admit, I was curious about the whole "Mysterious Maple Syrup Smell" thing even before I moved to New York City. So now that I'm here, and Gothamist is reporting that the scent has returned, I worry that I could become obsessed, roaming the city streets with my nose in the air. (And that will lead to nothing but disappointment, I realize. Pungent, pungent disappointment.)

Oscar and the City points us towards the trailer (red-band! yay!) for the new Coen Brothers movie, Burn After Reading. I may offer a more detailed trailer review later but for now, suffice it to say: Bad Pitt and Frances McDormand look like they are having a ball, Clooney has always shone while in the Coens' orbit, I'm loving this John Malkovich comeback tour in 2008, and you know a movie's good when Tilda Swinton and Richard Jenkins aren't in the top 3 of awesome things. The Coens are back to light and breezy fun -- a change of pace from No Country For Old Men, but lucky for us they tend to kick ass at both ends of the spectrum.

The wonderful and talented Jane Espenson directs us towards the Battlestar Galactica podcasts (which I have been derelict in following this season -- I have not been a good geek), which also apparently include a listen-in on the writers' room during the breaking of the pre-season movie Razor. I'm racing off to listen to it right now.

I hope to be up with a post on So You Think You Can Dance later today, but in the meantime, check out Tapeworthy's episode review. I can already vouch for Tapeworthy, having been a reader for a while, but now that I know he liked Neil (and didn't like Danny) last season, I know he's especially good people where this show is concerned.

Finally, and though I am reluctant to inherit this particular whirlwind, it seems that Clay Aiken has fathered a child with a longtime friend via artificial insemination. That's kind of the last piece in the big ol' Clay puzzle, isn't it?

1 comment:

Vance said...

Thanks for the link. And I liked Neil so much that I tracked him down last week in New York to see Altar Boyz (and got a sneaky paparazzi shot outside the theatre that I will post soon though I really should had just ran up and bear hugged him or something/tie him up for my own use in a basement...:P).

DANNY. I was about to mention his attitude in a post yesterday and ALREADY FORGOT HIS NAME (and I wasn't about to be bothered to look it up. That's how little I care for him).