Monday, April 07, 2008

Weird

By now, I've gotten used to being on the opposite side of public opinion with regard to Saturday Night Live. I always thought Kevin Nealon was a way better Weekend Update host than Norm McDonald (and got a neverending barrage of crap for it), and every time I hear that the show is finally dead, I inevitably end up watching the show and ticking off a good half dozen things I like about it. But this is just weird: after watching this past week's SNL episode with Christopher Walken and fast-forwarding through pretty much every sketch (save for the Laser Cats and Update), I concluded that it was probably the worst episode of the season. Nothing catastrophic, but a definite misfire.

So why is Best Week Ever trying to freak me out by calling it the best episode of the season? Yes, the googly-eyed plants were pretty funny, and you know I love Kristen Wiig, but I'd have taken the Target lady (or for God's sake Amy's Aunt Linda reviewing movies! Where has she been??) over the permanently surprised lady. Weirder still, BWE calls the Jonah Hill episode the season's worst. Dude, I loved that one! With the "I'm six!" guy and "What's Your Situation?" and Wiig playing Suze Orman (which is the only clip from that episode that isn't on Hulu, god damn it)? How does a blog I enjoy so much arrive at such bizarre conclusions?? When will the universe recognize the unfailing correctness of my opinions??

10 comments:

Mich said...

I agree with you that the Jonah Hill one was clearly the best (Tracy Morgan!), and aside from that they've all been pretty bad. Walken is always funny just as Walken, the sketches didn't really stand on their own. I did laugh a bit during update, so this wasn't totally the worst for me but it sure wasn't great.

Kaitlin said...

I have to agree with you that I thought the SNL this week was bad. I was so distacted by the cue card reading I didn't know what I was watching half the time. I did rewatch the top chef one since I found that pretty spot on. Maybe the show only needs to be Bravo reality spoofs. But today talking with pretty at work and looking at BWE thoughts I did love the suprise lady, family reunion, and googly eyes. Now I am a little upset I deleted it already. Cause in a weeks time it might be the best all year.

Jeff Hansen said...

Yeah, it was pretty crappy. Walken was fun (shocking I know), but they gave him nothing to work with.

I found the Walken reunion fascinating, as there were some really good impressions, and so plainly horrific ones as well. Special recognition to Darrell Hammond (we've finally found out the one impression he can't do) and Fred Armisen (the concerpt of someone doing a gay Walken impression is intriguing; I'm still waiting for someone to do a gay Walken, because whatever that was, it wasn't that).

Elwood said...

I was disappointed that there was no "Continental" skit this week.

mootpoint said...

I kind of thought it was a really good episode. Definitely not best of the season, but I liked the monologue, I liked the Grease sketch, I liked Walken family reunion, I liked the creepy office stalker, and the Jimmy Carter one made me laugh really really hard.

Plus, Laser Cats.

Overall the Jonah Hill one was probably a better overall episode though -- Walken's funny, but he basically does one thing.

notanillusion said...

I'm with you, I thought the Jonah Hill episode was actually a lot funnier than the Walken episode, and that surprises me, because Walken usually homers it for me. But I did love the Annuelle sketch, and the Weekend Update was funny. Walken was still funny, but the reunion and stuff? Not that funny.

Rural Juror said...

OMG . . . I adored that Suze Orman sketch

oakling said...

I don't watch it, but I can't see something like Permanently Surprised Lady being a good joke. SNL tends to flunk out the hardest when it picks one-note jokes... they're a lot harder to put over without serious creativity, because otherwise you're just relying on "if you do something enough times in a row it gets funny." And long before that, it gets ANNOYING.

JA said...

Can you begin every post with that picture of Kristen Wiig please?

JS said...

You're not alone on the Norm McDonald opinion. I happen to think he was one of the worst SNL members. I hate his "hee hee look I'm trying to play funny with this character" style. Too self-conscious, especially during the update segments.