Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sissy In The Afternoon


[Weekend posting is weird and infrequent for me because I'm not sure if anybody's out there reading them. But I figure I can't be the only one checking the computer in between afternoon and evening plans. Or else read it Monday morning when you check back in again, what do I care? Anyway...]

So I got to see a screening of Terrence Malick's Badlands today, followed by a Q&A with none other than Sissy Spacek. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon, I'd say. She's absolutely delightful in person, which should come as no surprise. Intelligent and conversational and self-effacing -- after thirty-plus years doing this, she still manages to seem like she enjoys these things. It's a good thing, too, because the guy from IFC running the Q&A was really awkward, prone to long silences and unable to really engage her in a conversation, despite her clear willingness to do so. No, he had his pre-prepared questions designed to show how much research he did. You'll recall this is a pet peeve of mine, the guy in the Q&A whose question exists only to show how smart he is. We had a doozy today, some affected slob who got all indignant about the "this isn't based on real events" disclaimer and then went on some tangent about Martin Sheen, James Dean, Tim Roth, and pointed use of the word "physiognomy." Ugh. Anyway, she was great.

I hadn't seen Badlands in a very long time, and I still like it very much. I didn't remember it being as darkly comic as it was, so that was a nice surprise. As heavy as the events and themes are, it's also something of a send-up of the lovers-on-the-lam genre.

Spacek is in town today for the Tribeca Film Festival's showing of her new movie Lake City, which I hadn't heard of previously, but which has the following things going for it: 1) Sissy Spacek, obviously; 2) it stars the underrated Troy Garity just as I was starting to wonder why he stopped getting cast in movies; 3) it features Rebecca Romijin as a small-town cop. Makes perfect sense to me! Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to it now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the other cool thing I learned about Sissy Spacek today: lady's connected! You don't normally think of her as being this big Hollywood insider -- she lives in Virginia, after all. But her cousin is Rip Torn (didn't know that), and when she first moved to New York, she lived with Torn and his wife, Geraldine Page (didn't know that). We were also told that David Lynch is her "brother-in-law," but I haven't been able to figure out whether that's an actual familial relation or whether that's just because her husband and Lynch were boyhood best friends. [EDIT to an EDIT: ahhh, Lynch was once married to Fisk's sister. The friendship has apparently endured the divorce.]

5 comments:

SecretMargo said...

I read on the weekends! I mean, if you're doing a roll call....

patty m. said...

RSS feed, baby. The only answer for a compulsive reader (me) of a not-every-day-but-sometimes-two-to-three-posts-in-a-day poster (Joe). Wouldn't miss a weekend post for the world.

Anonymous said...

Me too! But I also like having something new to read on Monday mornings.

jessica said...

I should really look into this RSS phenomenon sometime, as it appears to be quite helpful.

Catherine said...

So. Jealous. Of. You.

I love Spacek and Badlands is one of my favourite films! Lucky.