Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Ass Singer

Okay, just to get it out of the way, I'm really rather fond of Neil Diamond. With decent amount of irony, sure, but probably not as much as you'd think. That being said, David Archuleta's performance of "America" on American Idol tonight might be the single most barf-tacular performance in the long history of that show. Never mind that his voice can't hack it and the arrangement shredded the song into near-unrecognizable bits, he manages to make the corny-but-sincere patriotism of the original seem hollow and cheap and dirty. The whole thing was just so gross.

So just to wash this awful taste out of my mouth, here's Neil Diamon's original in all it's dorky bombast (that's right -- I'm posting a clip from The Jazz Singer to make things feel less gross and creepy):

6 comments:

Julia said...

If David A wins this year...dear Lord I don't even want to contemplate it.

Jack said...

The whole show was a train wreck, the only performance that wasn't cringe inducing was David Cooks second song.

jam said...

I'd really rather David Cook had just sung all the songs, frankly.

jessica said...

THANK YOU! My boyfriend and I watched last night almost in tears from the total disaster that was Archuleta. I mean, nobody really blew me away, since nobody really had the energetic fun that Neil Diamond Night would seem to imply (possible exception on Syesha's second song if she didn't generally suck as a person), but Archuleta was the WORST. His horrendous quasi-pedophilia-creepiness rendition of "Sweet Caroline" was bad enough -- NEVER let that boy sing of touching ever again -- but "America" lost every ounce of Diamond's power and verve and OOMPH that make it such an enjoyable cheesetacular song. What a waste.

Plus, I think Paula Abdul gave me a brain aneurysm.

Mike said...

I wanted there to be a moment where, at the end of Diamond's performance, the old Jewish guy from the audience tottered up to the stage and Neil Diamond wrapped his sweaty scarf around the Jewish guy's neck, and the Jewish guy put his kippa on Diamond's head.

That's what I want.

Michelle said...

So, because it was on tonight and because you alluded to it weeks ago, I really think you should try out "So You Think You Can Dance" this summer. It's a little less loaded with bullshit (although since it is a 19 Production it's still in there). But at least it brings back some of the joyous moments that Idol has been desperately lacking lately.