Saturday, March 15, 2008

Watch With Me

Three shows premiering this week that I plan to watch. You should totally watch them too! So we can talk!

John Adams (HBO, Sunday, 8 PM): Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney in a seven-episode miniseries based on that book your mom was reading a couple years ago. Or maybe just my mom. I've been drifting away from HBO since Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and The Sopranos ended, but this kind of thing is what HBO is uniquely suited to do: giving seven hours to adapt a long-ass book and providing a decent budget to do so. I'm going to try to watch this when it airs on Sundays because if I don't, I can see it sitting on my DVR for a while.

The Riches (FX, Tuesday, 10 PM): I've written about this show before, so you already know how psyched I am for the second season premiere. In the past, when I've watched full seasons of shows on DVD, I've ended up losing patience with the one-week-at-a-time nature of watching it in season (this is what happened with Dexter, and why I'm going to watch that season again in one glut). Of course, that's not always the case (Battlestar Galactica, among others), so we'll see how this goes.

Miss Guided (ABC, Tuesday, 10:30 PM): Lucky for this show my Tuesday schedule is virtually empty. So Judy Greer plays a high school guidance counselor even though she was a dork in high school, and it's an ABC midseason comedy, which means I'll like it and nobody else will watch it and it'll get cancelled. But Judy Greer! And Entertainment Weekly gave it an A-! Give it a go, huh?

4 comments:

Mathan said...

Ok, but only if you make good on your promise to start watching The Wire. Deal?

patty m. said...

I can't wait for Miss Guided. It looks like twisted fun, and Judy Greer is priceless. So, yeah, it'll probably be cancelled (or moved around on the schedule until it's virually unfindable). Thank God it's not on Fox, which has a history of torturing, then killing, so many of the shows I've loved...

Mike said...

So -- John Adams. At first I thought, "Is this just going to be several episodes of 'Murder, She Wrote' where John Adams is Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher solving crime?" Then, it just became a bunch of irritating white guys having meetings while young men went off to fight. And maybe that's the point the director was trying for; however, I tired of every time something dramatic happened where the British were being dick-y, Paul Giamatti would head back to Philadelphia for another board meeting.

(I did gasp and cringe mightily when that one guy got tar poured all over him.)

Joe Reid said...

Yeah, I definitely liked the second hour better than the first, courtroom-filled hour (it was a good decision to double up this first week). By the end of that second hour, though, I was kind of enthralled. 18th century politics apparently really do it for me. Or maybe it was just that swelling score, which is totally Swelling, Inspirational Scores By Numbers, but I totally dug it.