Monday, March 17, 2008

'Round Springfield

So after a weekend in which my sister ended up photographed marching with the president of Sinn Fein (...sigh), and as I sit here watching the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade march on by outside my window, I feel like I should give props to this, the whitest of all holidays. It's weird because when I was still in Buffalo, I didn't attend the St. Patrick's Day parade much, and I'd grown weary of the drunk-a-thon in recent years (not that I don't enjoy a good drunk-a-thon, but 10 AM 'til closing time, in 20-degree weather, isn't know, fun). And I've set aside the practicing Catholicism almost entirely. And yet today, I felt the twin urges to both go to church (!) and then head down to 5th and watch the parade go by up close. It's still in my blood, I guess. Bagpipes and line dancing still pull some triggers.

Anyway, elsewhere on these internets:

Kenneth In The (212) ponders the fate of Paul Walker, which is something I've been doing ever since I saw the Never Back Down trailer and that blond guy doing that stock Paul Walker role seemingly better than the original. With that in mind, I do think it's kind of cruel that they invited him to the Never Back Down premiere so he could watch himself be made redundant in person.

Jason at My New Plaid Pants has finally seen No Country For Old Men enough times to offer up an opinion on it. The verdict? See for yourself. Spoiler: it doesn't drink a certain other film's milkshake, to my chagrin.

Finally, m'boy Nathaniel over at The Film Experience is running his second annual Actress Psychic contest to predict next year's Best Actress Oscar lineup. It don't cost nothing to enter but an email, so I urge you to place an entry. And if you really want to make my (and his) day, your ballot will include Drew Barrymore, Rachel McAdams, Kate Beckinsale, Catherine Keener, and Sophie Okonedo. Nat needs some dark horses.

No comments: