Friday, February 01, 2008

Trailer Trash: The Other Boleyn Girl

I had been holding out hope for The Other Boleyn Girl. I love the cast -- Eric Bana, Natalie Portman, and Scarlett Johansson -- and the idea of letting those three loose on the kind of lushly-costumed melodrama that the Henry VIII saga could provide was a pleasing one. Maybe this could be the kind of guilty pleasure I was hoping to get from Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Then there was that whole PG-13 thing, was was annoying. Because we're watching Eric Bana and Scarlett Johansson breathe heavily for the emotion of it all. Come on, people, we're only human. Give us the goods!

Now, the trailer. I just don't know, you guys. I love Natalie Portman like a little sister, but maybe period drama isn't where it's at for her. She seems out of place, which is disappointing because she's certainly got the juiciest role as Ann Boleyn. But the whole tone seems so...serious. So dreadfully serious. Where's the fun? Where's the camp? It's skanky Ann Boleyn and her busty sister making a play for an unrealistically buffed-up Henry VIII. Why am I seeing so many contemplative glances?

It's only a trailer, of course, and maybe this is really the over-the-top romp I'd like it to be, but...well, take a look:

5 comments:

FDot said...

The trouble is that the film is based on a very long (700 pages) complex, serious historical novel. That throws any camp factor right out. In addition, it's a February release. I'm guessing it will be pretty to look at, but dramatically lacking. No matter what trappings the film adds, the ending is not in doubt.

scrawler said...

The problem, as I saw it conceptually and has now been proven by the trailer, is that the roles should have been reversed. Personality-wise Natalie should have been Mary and ScarJo should have been Anne. And I don't think I'll ever buy it the other way.

Joe Reid said...

That, actually, I disagree with. I loved the idea of Natalie getting the villainous role -- if Closer showed me anything it's that she can handle that kind of role, and even Scarlett I think is more interesting when she's not just vamping, but for some reason the trailer feels like it's not working.

adam k. said...

I dunno... the casting seems fine to me, except that I can't quite buy Portman as British. Something about her as an actress has just always seemed stilted and not very adaptable. But I'm loving ScarJo and Bana. I agree that ScarJo is way more interesting when she's conflicted and plays against the vamp thing... notice how much infinitely better she is in Ghost World, Lost in Translation and Girl with a Pearl than she is in, say, Match Point.

I think this could still be totally campy... but maybe it shouldn't be? Elizabeth: The Golden Age, anyone?

In any case, I'm seeing it for sure. So much prettiness on display...

tina said...

I'm right there with you on everything except the "unrealistically buffed-up Henry VIII" part. He was actually a magnificently-built athlete in his prime, considered the handsomest king in Europe. That part is historically accurate, just not well known.