Monday, February 11, 2008

Harder, Better, Dumber, Whinier

Didn't watch the Grammys last night -- I actually haven't watched them, I'm realizing now, for a long time; since...I'm remembering a Moby performance with Blue Man Group?...it's been a while -- but I've read the roundups (congrats to Amy Winehouse, I suppose; now can I not have to hear about her?) and I've seen the Kanye West performance (and read that embarrassingly self-aggrandizing speech), and I have to say that was a heady mixture of awesome and bullshit. Just the Kanye performance, I mean. Observe:



First of all, "Stronger" is a hot song, one that hasn't diminished in the several months since it's been out. And it's a dazzling, energetic performance, of which I am assuming the Grammys were in dire need if the stills I'm seeing of Josh Groban and Alicia Keyes were any indication. And it's good to see Daft Punk recognized for the vital role they played in the song's hotness. That being said, if there is any venue that was guaranteed to magnify the jerkoff quality of Kanye's lyrics, it's the goddamn Grammys. And of course he made sure we knew what he was talking about when he screamed for emphasis that we should feel lucky he deigned to show up at all, and if we don't understand why, all us haters can go fuck ourselves. If you listen to Kanye, you have to put up with this kind of self-aggrandizement all the time, but to realize that he gets this worked up about not winning a Grammy? Or a Video Music Award? It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

3 comments:

Kel said...

I gotta say, though, Vince Gill got off the line of the night when he accepted his award from Ringo Starr.

“I just got an award given to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?”

So much brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHV9cJyYEr4

Shut up, Kanye.

T-Square said...

I think it's a post-Eminem effect. Like, Eminem, I'm there on style, at least. He raps well, he's kinda dorky about it, and he had a fucked up childhood. Fair 'nuff. But - no seriously - trying to beat up Triumph The Insult Comic Dog? Like... dude. Puppet.

Rural Juror said...

That was a mistake you just made. I am going to mention Amy Winehouse to you everyday. Love her