Wednesday, January 16, 2008

'Round Springfield: 1/16

Taking a peek around these internets:

Towleroad passes on further casting info for Gus Van Sant's Harvey Milk biopic. (IMDb says the release date is 2009, but I'd be surprised if this isn't fast-tracked in time for the 2008 awards season.) Van Sant already had Sean Penn (in the title role), Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, and James Franco, and now you can add Victor Garber, Stephen Spinella, and Denis O'Hare to the cast. It's a talented trio that will certainly add some gay cred to a project that deserves it. The more I hear about this movie, the more I'm really excited for it.


Speaking of the more I hear the more excited I get, I have to admit I'm kind of shocked -- pleasantly so -- by the enthusiastic response Cloverfield has gotten. You expect Harry Knowles to mess himself over a movie like this ("a movie like this" being any movie that invites him to a screening), but between AICN, Kris Tapley, and now CHUD's Devin Faraci (who ultimately had to back down from weeks and weeks of ridiculously anti-JJ Abrams coverage), my mind is kind of reeling as to how good this movie really is. Hell, I've been looking forward to it since Day One, but...I don't know. Now there's room for a letdown that I didn't think there was before. I really need to see this movie pronto.

Jason at My New Plaid Pants passes on an RIP for Brad Renfro, who died last night. Meanwhile, Zac Efron survived his emergency appendectomy. I'm guessing some people are going to be pissed at the universe for that one.

Lastly, via Kenneth in the 212, comes word from USA Today about what cable shows the networks are looking to import in order to shore up strike-era programming holes. The idea of Dexter airing on CBS is still the strangest thing I've ever heard of, though that may end up being surpassed by the fact that Mad Men isn't a good fit for the networks because of the smoking. I almost can't form the words...

2 comments:

The Bloody Munchkin said...

Dude, I scanned your entry earlier today and totally missed the part of Brad Renfro's death, and then re-read and now I'm so utterly crushed I can't even form words. That sucks....

Michelle said...

Also, yeah! for new Idol recaps, nothing is more heartwarming on a cold, blah, January day.