Monday, January 28, 2008

God Damn It, Figure Skating

Okay, first of all, why was I not informed that Johnny Weir would be competing in last weekend's U.S. National Skating Championships? Why was I not informed that Johnny Weir was still skating at all? Didn't he pack that all in to start designing clothes or something? I guess this is what I get for not following the sport at all.

But compete he did, and he almost won, too, if it weren't for that meddelsome, hateful Evan Lysacek and an unfortunate tiebreaker. I guess the full story is that dear Johnny went and re-dedicated himself to the sport in the last year and has gotten himself back to the top. Which is great for him, and watching his performance (below), it's undoubtedly triumphant to watch him kicking so much ass. And yet...I'm kind of turned off by the narrative being pushed by the announcers that Johnny's success is due to him finally sanding off his rough edges and buckling down and whatever. It's like how they always -- always -- would compare Weir to Lysacek in this coded way that boiled down to a preference for Lysacek because he's butchier. ...Let that sink in for a second, the idea that one figure skater out-butches another one. Yeah. The fact is, if it weren't for the rough edges, I'd have never given Johnny Weir a second look. I couldn't give less of a damn about figure skating, but I could watch him skate every day for my whole life.

(Incidentally, is that not the gayest photo you've ever seen? God, I love him.)


Deirdre said...

I have been scouring the internets for pictures of Toller Cranston because I guarantee you one exists that's gayer than that photo of Mr. Weir. I have yet to come up with one better than this (God, I hope that link works) and I don't think it qualifies, but trust me, Cranston is the Betty Friedan to Weir's Naomi Wolf... if that analogy makes any sense at all.

I don't know much about Weir but I like that he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously - he always seems to be having so much fun.

Joe Reid said...

He does, yet at the same time he's also super competitive, which I also love. I love anybody who can be all frivolous and fun and then all at once flip a switch and you're there to fucking work. Like I think that's also why I dig Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams.

The Bloody Munchkin said...

I missed the Weir comeback, but I did catch the pairs competition with... A PROPOSAL! ON ICE! That was awesome, if only for all the Cutting Edge references I've gotten to make.