Thursday, December 20, 2007

These SAG Award Nominations Are Freaking Me Out!

The Screen Actors Guild accounced their awards nominations this morning. Usually, the awards season sees some kind of progression from the critics awards to the Golden Globes to the guilds, so that by the time SAG announced their nominations, the various Oscar races have coalesced into something of a shortlist. Not this year. Here are their nominations (thanks to Nathaniel for the lists):

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett -Elizabeth the Golden Age
Julie Christie -Away From Her
Marion Cotillard -La Vie En Rose
Angelina Jolie -A Mighty Heart
Ellen Page -Juno

BEST ACTOR
George Clooney -Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis -There Will Be Blood
Ryan Gosling -Lars and the Real Girl
Emile Hirsch -Into the Wild
Viggo Mortensen -Eastern Promises

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett -I'm Not There
Ruby Dee -American Gangster
Catherine Keener -Into the Wild
Amy Ryan -Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton -Michael Clayton

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck -The Assassination of Jesse James
Javier Bardem -No Country For Old Men
Hal Holbrook -Into the Wild
Tommy Lee Jones -No Country For Old Men
Tom Wilkinson -Michael Clayton

BEST ENSEMBLE
3:10 to Yuma
American Gangster
Hairspray
Into the Wild
No Country For Old Men

Some observations:

-- Total shutouts for Atonement and Sweeney Todd would probably be the biggest news. I'm planning to see Sweeney tomorrow, but I already think Atonement is brilliant, and while I always want the movies I love to be nominated for these kinds of things, I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Atonement's perception in the culture for it to be shut out by the Academy as well. The backlash has already been formidable against it -- maybe the only way for people to view it for what it is and not as the be-costumed Oscarbait it's been pegged as is to be ultimately snubbed by Oscar. Look at Dreamgirls last year -- only after the Best Picture snubs did some critics come out of the woodwork as having liked it. Public opinion and contrarianism are weird things.

-- Into The Wild, after the giant Globes snubs, looks to be back in the game in a big way. My guess is that the Academy goes for it too.

-- Does...does Hairspray stand an outside shot at Best Picture? It has to be considered at least a possibility now.

-- Best Actress: I still can't see Blanchett getting double-nommed, particularly for the terribly-reviewed The Golden Age. I'm weirdly encouraged by the fact that Jolie seems poised for an Oscar nomination, even though she probably wouldn't make my top 5 (though I thought she was quite good). Maybe because I predicted her way back in April? Oh, and I saw La Vie En Rose yesterday and Marion Cotillard is AWFUL. So's the movie. Both perfect examples of LOUD being confused for GOOD. As if I needed another reason to pull for Julie Christie hardcore.

-- Best Actor: Huge shakeups here. Looks like Emile Hirsch is back in the race, not to mention Ryan Gosling. Not sure if Oscar's going to nominate two young pups in the same year, but who knows? Also, it looks like Viggo's probably going to get his first Oscar nomination for Eastern Promises. I...well, I guess I'm happy for the people who are happy about this.

-- The stellar Michael Clayton triptych (Clooney, Wilkinson, Swinton) looks to have gotten across-the-board support, which couldn't make me happier.

-- Supporting Actress: Blanchett, Ryan, and Swinton are set in stone. Ruby Dee's nomination here is sentimental but I could imagine worse career-honor nominations. Keener's nomination is probably due to the Into The Wild love, but she's great, and after Capote, I kind of love the idea that she can get recognized no matter how marginalized her character is.

-- Supporting Actor: LOVE that Tommy Lee Jones has finally showed up for his No Country performance, even though it's probably the one performance from this list that won't make it to Oscar. He'll give way to Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War and you'll have your Academy nods.

-- Best Ensemble: Not even close to what I would have chosen, but they could have been worse. Good that 3:10 to Yuma is getting some love somewhere, but I'd have rathered a Supporting Actor nod for Ben Foster. I can't see how No Country doesn't take this running away. In fact...

-- Big love for No Country For Old Men overall, which means it really does seem to be the prohibitive Oscar favorite. As weird as that is to consider. I mean, two years in a row with super-violent Best Picture winners by egregiously overdue auteurs? That's a little ambitious for Oscar. Of course, this year the honors would actually be deserved, so that's nice.

-- So that's one Best Picture nominee locked in. As for the rest of the field...fuck if I know.

1 comment:

jennie said...

i totally agree with the marion cottliard (however you spell it) / la vie en rose thing. i just hated the movie and her performance. julie christie, however, i adore. go julie!