Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Capsule Review: The Mist

Movie: The Mist (or Stephen King's The Mist, I suppose)
Director/Studio: Frank Darabont / The Weinstein Company, MGM
10 Word Review: Ballsy and intense; expiation for every shitty Stephen King adaptation.

Best Thing About It: The ending. Holy crap. I was all set to make this grand pronouncement about how you can always tell a Stephen King short story from a novel by the way it ends, and how the short stories leave everyone high and dry, and no one wins, etc. But then I find out the ending was totally changed by Frank Darabont, which I give him huge credit for. I wouldn't have thought he had it in him.

Worst Thing About It: I could have done without the cartoony faces on the mist monsters. That was kind of lame.

Best Performance: It sounds like total backhanded praise to say that nobody could have overacted the hell out of the crazy God cult lady like Marcia Gay Harden, but it's the truth. God love her. Uh, literally.

Oscar Prospects: Seeing as there's no category for Most Times Freaked Out By Giant Bugs, I guess not. If it did better business (what's with the anemic box office, America? Buncha pussies) it might have been up for Sound or Sound Effects, but that's a no-go now. Pity.

Grade: B+

No comments: