Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: The Year In (Alphabetical) Movies

So, despite the fact that I have come far closer than I ever have before, there's just no way I'm going to have seen all the movies I need to see to tackle proper year-end movie coverage at the actual end of the year. (There Will Be Blood, Persepolis, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly top a not-insurmountable list.) The good news is that instead of waiting until mid-February to pretend like I give awards away, I'll only have to wait until mid-January.

That said, I'm trying to rock something of a Best Of 2007 theme, so rather than tip my hand as to my 5-movie Best Picture ballot, I'm just going to list my twenty favorite films of the year, alphabetically. It's been an uncommonly good year, so it's a strong twenty.

[Since this is something of a content-light post, feel free to use it as a discussion thread for your favorite movies of the year.]


The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
Atonement (Joe Wright)
Away From Her (Sarah Polley)
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (Sidney Lumet)
The Bourne Ultimatum (Paul Greengrass)
Bug (William Friedkin)
The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson)
Gone Baby Gone (Ben Affleck)
Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright)
Into The Wild (Sean Penn)
Juno (Jason Reitman)
Michael Clayton (Tony Gilroy)
The Mist (Frank Darabont)
No Country For Old Men (The Coen Brothers)
Once (John Carney)
Ratatouille (Brad Bird)
Southland Tales (Richard Kelly)
Superbad (Greg Mottola)
Sweeney Todd (Tim Burton)
Zodiac (David Fincher)

Aaaand My Five Least Favorite Movies

300 (Zack Snyder)
Catch And Release (Susannah Grant)
La Vie En Rose (Olivier Dahan)
Priates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Gore Verbinski)
Spider-Man 3 (Sam Raimi)

And finally:

The Ten Best Performances That Still Likely Won't Crack My Year-End "Awards":

Casey Affleck -- Gone Baby Gone
Joan Allen and David Strathairn -- The Bourne Ultimatum
Jason Bateman -- Juno
Michael Cera -- Superbad
Joseph Gordon-Levitt -- The Lookout
Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon -- Bug
Regina King -- Year Of The Dog
Leslie Mann -- Knocked Up


Brooke Cloudbuster said...

It's good to see Bug getting some mention on at least one other end of year list! Love, love the movie.

jessica said...

You did quite well in seeing movies this year, while I unsurprisingly did not. I've seen 7 of your 20, 2 of your 5, and 1 of the non-overlapping also-rans. I'm going to have to suck it up and start going to the movies along again. I hate waiting for other people.

Joe R. said...

Bug is great -- looking forward to seeing it again.

It should be noted that, since writing this, No End In Sight and This Is England have muscled into my Top 20.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.