Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"What's Happening To Our Hood?"

I've seen the Be Kind Rewind trailer about three times in theatres now (most recently last weekend before The Mist), and every time it's drawn uproarious laughter. And that includes me, every time. Maybe I'm just a soft touch, but Jack Black in old lady drag, whapping Mos Def with a purse and screaming "Hokey!" a la Driving Miss Daisy is more than enough for me.

The January 25th release date is weird -- I know Michel Gondry isn't exactly a cash magnet, but that's usually a dumping ground for movies that are unprofitable and shitty, and I really don't believe that's the case here. Gondry directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He's earned a lifetime of credit from me.

Anyway, hopefully this just means the first good (or great?) movie of 2008 will just come a lot sooner than we're used to.


Kamikaze Camel said...

I just hope it can somehow overcome the incredibly flawed central idea of it's plot.

Joe R. said...

How so?

That Bootleg Guy said...

I'm, uhh...gonna have to go with Kamikaze on this one, Joe.

While I happily defer to you on all things movies, this has the look of a flick that (1) empties its funniest bullets in the trailer and (2) seems more like a supersized SNL skit.

I'd *love* to be wrong, but...really, is Jack Black's allure strong enough to carry references to movies (Ghostbusters, Driving Miss Daisy) that I remember being regularly skewered almost 20 years ago?

Claire said...

Didn't Eternal Sunshine come out in January too? I remember that it was sometime in the winter, because it was bitterly cold when I got out of the theatre.