Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Capsule Review: No Country For Old Men

Movie: No Country For Old Men
Director/Studio: Joel and Ethan Coen / Miramax and Paramount Vantage
10 Word Review: Best Coens since Fargo, easily. Contemplative and terrifying at once.
Best Thing About It: The whole movie is great, but the sense of dread, of oncoming, unstoppable doom that is created by the Coens, cinematographer extraordinaire Roger Deakins, and Javier Bardem is terrifying and ultimately exhilarating.
Worst Thing About It: Gosh, I don't even know. It's not a perfect movie -- a very, very good one, but not perfect -- but there's no major flaw that jumps out. It's a movie that could easily end up overhyped, I will say that. As always, moviegoing public, recommend responsibly. Don't overpromise.
Best Performance: Javier Bardem, oh my God. Absolutely terrifying. He measures out the performance in the same way the Coens measure out his killings, and he never once gives the audience an ounce of anything besides unrelenting pursuit and the stringent moral code that only a killer can possess. So, so good.
Oscar Prospects: Bardem's currently the acknowledged "frontrunner" for the Supporting Actor trophy, but it's a long way to the stage from now. He's a shoo-in for the critics awards, though, and he should at least nab a nomination. As for the film, the directors, screenwriters, cinematographer...they're all going to be a part of the conversation, but critical support and the middlebrow tastes of the Academy are two very different things. I'm predicting Picture/Director nominations right now, but very tentatively.

Grade: A

1 comment:

"Lady" Bea said...

Yeah, I think I'm probably in danger of overpraising this one. But I can't help it! I just loved it so much! I loved it more than "Once" and THAT is saying something. And while Bardem was FANTASTIC, Tommy Lee Jones kicked all kinds of ass too. I think he'll get a nom too.