Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Halloween Gorge-Fest, Day Three: The Frighteners

Movie: The Frighteners (1996)
Director: Peter Jackson
...Who Went On To Make: Some movie about elves.
Channel: AMC

First Impressions: I wasn't expecting quite so much the horror comedy we ended up getting, especially at the beginning, but I ended up liking it. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it ends up being very funny (Chi McBride has it turned up to eleven from minute one and I love it) and also kind of touching by the end there. It's not a classic horror movie in that it's not ever really scary, but it's a warmly entertaining ghost story. Peter Jackson's got a weird sense of humor, though. Maybe it's best that he's sticking to fantasy and drama.

Notable Edits: The usual language dubbing, including a "God damn" becoming "gosh darn" which is infuriating and makes me think this dub was created back in 1985 or the day after Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl.

Scary Or Funny? Funny. Intentionally so.

Best Killing? Dee Wallace Stone and Jake Busey (I know) getting sent to hell is delightfully gross and reminds me of Tremors meets those Doc Ock tentacles from Spider-Man.

Future Airings: Sunday 10:00 PM (AMC)

Previously: Urban Legend, Hostel, Children of the Corn


Grunt said...

I completely adore this movie. I don't like horror films per se but I don't mind films that are about horror themes (Army of Darkness is another personal favorite, but I don't particularly like the Evil Deads) and I actually think it's Michael J. Fox's best role.

Who would have thunk it!

JA said...

I haven't seen this in a long while, but I was CONVINCED that Dee Wallace Stone was actually Beth Grant. In my mind, it was Beth playing that character. Weird.

I miss Trini Alvarado. Why don't she ever work?

patty m. said...

This movie and Nightmare Before Christmas are the two Halloween must-sees at my house. I love the effects in the first few minutes of the movie, and Jake Busey freaks me out.