Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween Gorge-Fest, Day Six: Evil Dead II

Movie: Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987)
Director: Sam Raimi
...Who Went On To Make: A Simple Plan, The Gift, and two good Spider-Man movies, then a bad one.
Channel: Showtime

First Impressions: Is it weird that the first word that comes to my mind when I think of this movie is "charming"? That's seriously how I view it. What a charming, well-intentioned, enthusiastically weird movie. It's never quite as funny as it wants to be, nor quite as scary, but it comes damn close every time, and I would think it would be very hard not to love it, short of rejecting the premise entirely. I mean: chainsaw hand! Come on, that's awesome. Also, due to the fact that they had to recreate the entire first movie in the opening 15 minutes, the action starts almost immediately, which I totally appreciate. Apparently that was due to a problem getting rights to footage of the original -- every movie should be so handcuffed. Bruce Campbell has made quite the career out of being such a shitty actor -- he's totally hilarious. And...on my God, is that Blair from One Life To Live as Bobbie Jo? I think it is.

Notable Edits: Thanks to Showtime, none.

Scary Or Funny? It attempts to strike a balance, but even the scariest moments are at least a little funny. The whole part with the dead hag in the basement is hysterical, and of course the evil severed hand. Definitely funny.

Best Killing? Can we count the death of Ash's hand? Because that was easily the best part of the movie.

Future Airings: None that I can find.

Previously: Pet Sematary 2, Hellraiser, The Howling, The Frighteners, Urban Legend, Hostel, Children of the Corn

No comments: