Saturday, September 01, 2007

You've Got Style, That's What All The Girls Say

So I was sitting around listening to Madonna on my iTunes (damn, how many of my blog entries have started that very way?) and halfway through "Dress You Up" I had a memory flash of the old (mid-to-late '90s) Gap ad where stone-faced young model-actors deadpanned a variety of retro songs while sporting the latest vest/denim/khaki fashions.

...So that's how I spent the rest of the afternoon on YouTube.

All the ads in this campaign were essentially the same. Like The Gap rented a van and drove it around L.A. picking up the kind of wayward hotties who invariably end up as pool boys/call girls in the service of Joel Schumacher/Brett Ratner, gave them each a valium and told them to sing into the camera. Of note with this clip is the fact that all the featured players seem vaguely familiar, like I've seen them on One Tree Hill or The O.C. or something. I know I've seen that spiky-haired cute one somewhere (okay, further research tells me he's the lead singer for Phantom Planet, so I'm kind of right with the O.C. thing). I mean, the first guy is definitely Dr. Patrick Drake from General Hospital (which is hysterical in its own right), and Rashida "Karen from The Office" Jones appears in another one.

I seriously encourage you to head over to YouTube and follow the "related videos" links down the Gap rabbit hole. I'm posting a few of my favorites here, but there's a good dozen worth watching. I'm fully aware of how bourgeois and soulless it makes me seem when I say this but: one of the best ad campaigns ever.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Wow, we are the same age and I barely remember some of these commercials. Was the Mellow Yellow campaign around the same time? That was my fav.

PS Love your blog and thanks for getting me addicted to YouTude.