Friday, September 07, 2007

Hype, Schmype

Here's the thing: if you're at all concerned that the fact that everyone you've ever spoken to, read, blogged with, bought coffee from, jogged next to, took the subway with, or peed next to (keep that stance narrow!) has talked up the movie Once to the point where they've oversold it to you and there's no way that it can possibly live up to the hype? See it anyway. I know what you're thinking, but still? See it anyway.

Best movie I've seen this year. And it will take something awfully good to surpass it.


adam k. said...

I agree. Best film I've seen this year. So far:

1) Once
2 The Host
3) Ratatouille

...with Bug and Away From Her filling out my imaginary pre-September lineup.

Once is not perfect, and I expect something to pass it by year's end, but then again, maybe nothing will. It's quite great.

I saw Once THREE times in theaters, something I don't normally do. The last time I saw it, I went with friends, who said they DIDN'T LIKE IT, and I was actually offended at that, which is wierd. Like, "who are you people?" It made me feel uncomfortable around them.

Anyway, actor's tourney???

It's OK, take your time ; )

Joe R. said...

Yeah, I hate to play the "I'm so busy at work" card, but seriously? SO busy at work. I'll continue the Actors tourney as soon as I possibly can, though. I'm as anxious to see how it turns out as anyone.

adam k. said...

It's OK, I also have been neglecting my blog due to real life concerns. School + work = not enough time for play.

"Lady" Bea said...

Lovely, lovely movie. Hands down, the best movie I've seen all year. I came home from the theater and IMMEDIATELY ordered the soundtrack. "Falling Slowly" is by far my favorite song. Thanks for this!

Grunt said...


Juno, which I got to see at the Telluride Film Festival over Labor Day Weekend is the best film I've seen in about 2 years.

Seriously. It'll be out December 14.

Joe R. said...

I have heard a whole lot of good things about that movie recently; I can't wait to see it.

Deirdre said...

I saw Juno at TIFF and most of the press corps were falling all over themselves to praise it. Me? Not so much. You know how lots of critics were dissing Garden State for being too quirky? Juno turns the quirky up to 11. Really the best part about it was the press conference the next day where there was a mini Bluth family reunion and I was able to confirm that Allison Janney is, in fact, a goddess.

I haven't seen Once yet and I think it juuuust left Toronto, too, curse it.