Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Blogging the Upfronts: Day 2


We'll see how consistently I manage to keep up with this week's upfront announcements, particularly considering I blew off yesterday's NBC announcement completely. But seriously, beyond moving Friday Night Lights to...well, Friday nights (where it will be unopposed by anything good and might stand a chance at being left alone, let's hope) and swapping and The Office and 30 Rock's time slots, there wasn't a whole lot in the way of exciting news. Today's ABC announcement, on the other hand, fares a lot better. Check out the fall schedule, new shows in bold (and thanks to The Futon Critic for the info):

MONDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars"
9:30 p.m. "Sam I Am" (new comedy series)
10:00 p.m. "The Bachelor"

TUESDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Cavemen" (new comedy series)
8:30 p.m. "Carpoolers" (new comedy series)
9:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars the Results Show"
10:00 p.m. "Boston Legal"

WEDNESDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Pushing Daisies" (new drama series)
9:00 p.m. "Private Practice" (new drama series)

10:00 p.m. "Dirty Sexy Money" (new drama series)

THURSDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Ugly Betty"
9:00 p.m. "Grey's Anatomy"
10:00 p.m. "Big Shots" (new drama series)

FRIDAY:

8:00 p.m. "MEN IN TREES"
9:00 p.m. "Women's Murder Club" (new drama series)
10:00 p.m. "20/20"

SATURDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Saturday Night College Football"

SUNDAY:

7:00 p.m. "America's Funniest Home Videos"
8:00 p.m. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"
9:00 p.m. "Desperate Housewives"
10:00 p.m. "Brothers & Sisters"


Okay, thoughts:

-- Happy to see Ugly Betty and Brothers & Sisters keep their old time slots. Even though I could stand to have Betty on a less competetive night, I think the lead-in to Grey's is the way to go there.

-- No word on Traveler at all is kind of disappointing, but with only one episode aired, I guess it's too soon for the network to decide if it's worth bringing back. I just hope it's not a dead show walking, because I'm planning on investing in it for as long as it lasts.

-- All new shows on Wednesdays seems risky, but I guess they think the Grey's spinoff Private Practice can anchor the night. We'll see -- it'll have to get a whole hell of a lot better than the episode two weeks ago, that's for certain.


As for the other new shows:

BIG SHOTS
Seems like a toned-down Sex and the City for the straight male CEO rather than the tarted-up single gal. That...doesn't seem all that appealing. The presence of Dylan McDermott and (especially) Michael Vartan certainly helps drum up some interest.

DIRTY SEXY MONEY
Low Res secret Hollywood boyfriend Greg Berlanti (of Everwood and Brothers & Sisters fame) got two shows picked up by ABC, and this is the one that will premiere in the fall. The buzz has been uniformly excellent -- it's supposed to be quite funny, for a drama. Donald Sutherland, Peter Krause, Samaire Armstrong, Jill Clayburgh, and William Baldwin (yes, William Baldwin) anchor the cast. I'll be watching this, if for the Berlanti factor alone.

WOMEN'S MURDER CLUB
The premise -- four working women (one detective, one D.A., one M.E., one reporter) band together to solve crimes -- might not sound groundbreaking, but it looks to combine demo-baiting female-centric storylines with a proven procedural formula (a detective, a D.A., and an M.E.? Works for SVU), so I think it could do well. And the cast is great, if not full of "names": I still love Angie Harmon from L&O, Paula Newsome cracked my ass up in Little Miss Sunshine, and Laura Harris was my favorite 24 villain not named Sherry Palmer. I hope this does well. Great, now I have two shows on Fridays I want to watch. Thanks God for DVR.

ELI STONE
(pictured at top)
This is the big one. It's not set to show up on the schedule until mid-season (joining Lost and October Road as ABC's January cavalry), but I am on pins and needles waiting for it. The reasons abound: 1) GREG BERLANTI, again, this time with a show about a successful lawyer who begins to see himself as a prophet. 2) VICTOR GARBER, who deserves to have as much success on the tube as he can handle after Alias. 3) Jonny Lee Miller, in the lead role, and Loretta Devine, supporting, have always been secret faves. And most importantly 4) a very, very good friend of Low Res is going all Hollywood to work on the show. So don't expect me to shut up about this one any time soon. Eli Stone! Watch it! In January!

8 comments:

JA said...

Please tell me that "Cavemen" is not that Geico cavemen show. Please? It's not right? Please?

Joe R. said...

Oh my God, I totally thought you were kidding. It...seems it actually is. Those commercials are the best on TV besides whatever cell phone company is asking Who's In Your Five, but...a whole TV show? I'm dubious.

JA said...

AGH! I thought I'd read that pilot was not getting picked up! I can't believe they effing picked that thing up!

JA said...

Oh, and if you hadn't read this review of the pilot at AICN, you should.

I can't even fathom this thing's existence.

jessica said...

I can't even process the Geico sitcom, so ... whatever.

Women's Murder Club is based on the James Patterson number novels ("1st to Die", "2nd Chance", "3rd Degree", etc.). The casting seems pretty consistent with the books, and I like Angie Harmon as Det. Boxer (I love her, too). Just please don't let anyone dye her hair blonde.

Sticky Keys said...

I loved the Geico commercials as social commentary on race relations in this country, but I fear some of the subtle nuance might be lost in translation to the sitcom format.

Speaking of which,

Where is LOST?

Michelle said...

Lost is out until January, a la 24. The no-repeat thing is great, but it seems like it built up some momentum again over the past few weeks. Not to mention having to keep track of all the plot threads seven months later.

Sticky Keys said...

Thanks michelle. I hate when HBO uses that formula, but I especially hate it when netword tv does. Oh well, I guess it gives new shows a chance.