Friday, April 13, 2007

WOOO!


John: What's up?
Joe: I watched the Sabres game from three different locations!
John: What was the result?
Joe: We won! 4-1! WOOOO!
John: Sweet! What's the series score?
Joe: This was game 1. Great way to start.
Joe: We watched the 1st period from an outdoor screen next to the arena. It was so fucking cold.
John: Oh my God. That is crazy.
Joe: That's Buffalo.

I will say one thing for that outdoor viewing experience: it wasn't snowing. It's snowing now, as I type this (sigh), but it wasn't snowing last night as several dozen hardy Sabres fans parked themselves right outside the sold-out arena to watch the game on a giant TV screen. I swear to God, we will tailgate anything. My favorite part was the rope line that ran around the perimeter of the officially dsignated courtyard area, beyond which point you couldn't bring your own alcohol. But since you could still see the screen from the sidewalk, people just parked their coolers and had a time. Open container law? Yeah, that's a good one.

4 comments:

MonkeyBoy said...

Seriously, people go out in the freezing cold to watch a hockey game on a big TV in a parking lot. You Buffalonians are a bit on the odd side.

That Bootleg Guy said...

Not sure if you saw this, Joe, but SI.com has cool little piece on the link between sports and your fair city. I thought it was a good read, but what do I know.

Joe R. said...

"Buffalo has never won a major sports championship...Among cities with at least two major sports franchises, only San Diego can claim such futility."

Dammit, Cam, why can't you just root for San Diego's sports teams so I can laugh at you about that?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this article. I'm not crazy about the storied tradition of losing thing. Not because it's untrue, but because...I will not be a part of anything that reminds me of the Red Sox fans leading up to '04. Now way.

I might comment on this article at length. There's enough to talk about, for sure.

That Bootleg Guy said...

Root for San Diego teams? Never.

Now help me out with the pronunciation of Cheektowaga and Tonawanda. The latter I know because I once dated a "Tonawanda", but for Cheektowaga is the "ch" silent?