Sunday, April 15, 2007

Switching It Up


The Sabres lost last night, and I need to get them off the top of the page here, so I'm just stopping by to sing the praises of Amy Poehler on SNL. I was working late last night, so I ended up watching the new SNL with Shia LaBeouf (surprisingly funny, if sparesely utilized) and a rerun on E! (Will Ferrell's underwhelming return).

But the best parts of each episode were the Weekend Update segments, one with Amy Phoelher and Tina Fey ("this is the last time I suck beer out of dirt with you,") one with Poehler and Seth Myers. So I've gotta give it up for the common ingredient there. Tina and Amy got a lot of shit for being too giggly (read: female) when presenting the news, but in these days of wildly erratic SNL content, Update is the only reliably funny segment. Plus, she delivers a kickass Nancy Grace as well.

6 comments:

jessica said...

... and Dakota Fanning, and a slutty "hot" mom in Mean Girls and a sexually misguided, nefarious plotter of a figure skater (with AWESOME hubby Will Arnett -- seriously, you two, adopt me!) in Blades of Glory, and ... everything else she does. I would even welcome the return of Horatio Sanz if it meant another glimpse of Poehler's Caitlin screaming "RickrickrickrickRICK!"

Sticky Keys said...

She was fantastic as Dakota. She's kind of fallen into that smart blonde trap where they don't really know what to do with her. She's fantastic on SNL, but I'd like to see her actually starring in something. Though I'm wondering how she would fair without creative control.

I love Shia of the Beef so much. And I love how he's still trying to convinve everyone he's 20, heh.

J.D. Judge said...

Tina Fey + Amy Poehler, the Dixie Chicks, Ziyi Zhang, and the Sabres rule. End of story.

J.D. Judge said...

And Jesus. Can't forget about Jesus. Or my soul will be damned for all eternity. I don't want that! I WANT TO LIIVVVEEE!!!

jessica said...

Aww, I love the Dixie Chicks so much. It's good to see someone else likes them too.

Anonymous said...

Just a few words for Poehler fans out there: WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER.

Her role is fairly small, but she does great things with it. Molly Shannon also has some funny bits.