Saturday, February 17, 2007

What I've Been Up To When I'm Not Here

Yes, it's shitty just to post links to stuff I've written elsewhere. But I hope to be able to plaster this blog with Oscar flotsam and jetsam this week.

First off, I made my second straight appearance on The Film Experience's Oscar Symposium, where I spent three days being pummeled by people smarter and more cinematically literate than I am. I did get a pretty decent defense of Little Miss Sunshine in there, which was more than I expected to be able to.

As for the recaps:

American Idol: Forget the Alamo

American Idol: Leftover Pie

Studio 60: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

2 comments:

jessica said...

Such a busy bee you are. I'm super-glad to have AI back, though, primarily because of your (and Jacob's) recaps, and I'm literally only holding onto Studio 60 because you (and Miss Alli) are awesome. So I guess I can't complain about the lack of blog material.

The Oscars are on my birthday this year, but I can't think of any particular win that would be a great present. Marty and The Departed, maybe, but a) it feels like such a worn out argument that I'm almost ready to hope against Scorcese out of spite and b) what a lame cop-out of a birthday Oscar wish.

Still, looking forward to your predictions/thoughts/rants/etc.

WickedScorp said...

Funny, most of my friends have gone on to see Little Miss Sunshine post nomination and I've had very similar conversations with them. It doesn't scream Oscar but I think it's much more worthy than three of the other nominees (Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Queen). Little Miss Sunshine is subtle and therein lies it brilliance. Its little take on humanity funny, sad, enraging; its characters endearing because they are so relatable. Unlike, say, Babel with pummels you in the face with its sledgehammer of misery and hopelessness. Life sucks, we get it, but it's worthy holding on to the bits of good instead of wallowing in the tragic.