Thursday, February 08, 2007

Trailer Trash: Hotter Than July


I saw the trailer for Shrek the Third during American Idol last night, and...here's the thing: I realize why Shrek is not great filmmaking. I realize why Shrek is annoying. But there are witnesses to the fact that I more-or-less laughed my ass off at Shrek 2, and when I look at the voice cast they've assembled for the third movie? Justin Timberlake, John Krasinski, Ian McShane, and as the fairytale princesses, Amy Sedaris, Amy Poehler, Cheri Oteri, and Maya Rudolph. Plus, and maybe this is just me being easy to please, but Larry King voicing the ugly step-sister? Kills me ever single time.

Check out the trailer. How entirely off-base am I? Keeping in mind that I am fully aware how bad a line "King of the stupids" is. And how tired Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz have become as the leads. And how hacky a lot of the pop references and musical cues are bound to be. I get it. And still...

Sad.

3 comments:

JA said...

I laugh at 'em too, don't feel ashamed, Joe. I am a little ashamed that these things make SO MUCH MONEY; like "feed all of Africa" amounts of money.

But yeah, that princess casting? Had me in the theater months ago.

WickedScorp said...

I remember being excited about SHREK based on its trailer, the team that edited it together deserves major credit. They took the funniest bits of the film and edited them in such a way that the jokes worked, timing and such. Seeing the film, which is easily one of the worst I have ever seen - ever, nothing worked, not even the funny bits from the trailer. It was truly one of the most grating experiences I have ever had. SHREK 2 was only tolerable, occasionally very funny, because of its ancillary characters; the leads were as obnoxious as ever. The major qualm I have with SHREK is that it is such a brilliantly simple concept that offers the potential to be viciously clever and witty. Instead, the parody is asinine and puerile. The characters unlikeable and forgettable... if only Dreamworks would let us.

That Bootleg Guy said...

Sweet fancy Moses. I didn't think there was ANYone who shared my views on the first two Shrek flicks. 'Wickedscorp', I salute you. All I can add is, "Ditto".

The moral of the story for me is that I'll never see another movie that "everyone" tells me "you HAVE to see it!"