Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Okay, Time To Wash Some Of That Hollywood Glitter Off

It's hockey postin' time!

As was all over the national sporting news last week, Thursday's Sabres game against the Ottawa Senators devolved into the most glorious pier six brawl, which you can see below. I know my readership is not the most sports savvy, so here's the scenario: the Sabres had, in the last two weeks, lost roughly seven dozen players to injury, including essentially the one tough guy on the team who could actually make plays as well, Paul Gaustad. In the wake of Gaustad's injury, a weird carnival of Sabres have stepped up to try their hand at the tough guy role, leading to such frankly amazing occurrences as shrinking violet Jochen Hecht having a go against the Boston Bruins.

So when Ottawa took a run at Chris Drury -- Sabres captain and team leader -- and injured him, with a hit that managed to be both clean and headhunting at the same time, the Sabres who retaliated were folks like rookie Drew Stafford and hometown boy just called up from the minors Pat Kaleta, not to mention goalie Martin Biron, who got the everloving crap kicked out of him by Ray Emery, the most badass goalie of all time. God, I do love hockey.

My one regret, after watching the video again, is that Rick Jeanneret never busted out the "eeeeeeevrybody's got a partner" soundbite. Jeanneret is the best voice in hockey, and if you've never heard him call a goal, you absolutely need to check out this and this and this and this and this.

Anyway, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was fined $10,000 for the brawl -- for what, I'm not entirely sure -- and fans in Buffalo have been so jazzed about the brawl and the team and Ruff in particular (Bill Parcells wishes he was one half the spectacularly awesome crumudgeon Ruff is) that they've taken up a collection to compensate Ruff for the fine. Ruff's going to donate the money to charity, of course, but it's misguided enthusiasm like this that makes me really love my city. We may not do much right, but we do support hockey thuggery.


Mark said...

God, I've been watching Jeanneret for years, and what I always remember is how his voice cracks when he says, "Shot!" I used to hate it, now I love it. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome brawl.
Where was: "Top shelf, where mama hides the cookies!"

jessica said...

I saw this on TV, actually, and while your video doesn't have a good shot of it, what I loved was watching Emery get beat up on while the refs were kind of ... smiling and laughing. So awesome. Hockey has always gotten my utmost respect for being the most physical, toughest mainstream sport out there, but I've also gotta love the brawls.