Sunday, February 25, 2007

Low Res Oscar Week: The Predictions

Well, this is it. I got all my content in before even Joan Rivers has hit the red carpet, which means I win. You'll excuse me, then, if I kind of skimp on the intro to my sure-to-be-inaccurate predictions. I went for straight-up boring in the acting categories, because that's been the trend ever since they shortened the Oscar season. And I think I picked with my heart once too often in the techs. Whatever. I do have to say I find myself utterly compelled to the Best Art Direction race for the first time in ever. That's cool. Anyway, the shoulds and wills and maybes are as follows:


BEST PICTURE
Should: Little Miss Sunshine
Will: Babel
Dark horse: The Departed

BEST DIRECTOR
Should: Paul Greengrass
Will: Martin Scorsese
Dark Horse: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñaritu

BEST ACTOR
Should: Ryan Gosling
Will: Forest Whitaker
Dark Horse: Leonardo DiCaprio

BEST ACTRESS
Should: Judi Dench
Will: Helen Mirren
Dark Horse: Meryl Streep

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Should: Alan Arkin
Will: Eddie Murphy
Dark Horse: Mark Wahlberg

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Should: Adriana Barraza
Will: Jennifer Hudson
Dark Horse: Adriana Barraza

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Should: Little Miss Sunshine
Will: Little Miss Sunshine
Dark Horse: The Queen

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Should: Notes on a Scandal
Will: The Departed
Dark Horse: Borat

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Should: Emmanuel Lubezki - Children of Men
Will: Emmanuel Lubezki - Children of Men
Dark Horse: Guillermo Navarro - Pan's Labyrinth

BEST ART DIRECTION
Should: Pan's Labyrinth
Will: Pan's Labyrinth
Dark Horse: Dreamgirls

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Should: The Devil Wears Prada
Will: Dreamgirls
Dark Horse: Marie Antoinette

BEST EDITING
Should: United 93
Will: Babel
Dark Horse: The Departed

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Should: Phillip Glass - Notes on a Scandal
Will: Alexandre Desplat - The Queen
Dark Horse: Thomas Newman - The Good German

And the rest...

Best Sound Mixing: Dreamgirls
Best Sound Effects Editing: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Best Visual Effects: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Best Makeup: Pan's Labyrinth
Best Song: Dreamgirls - "Listen"
Best Animated Short - Maestro
Best Live Action Short: West Bank Story
Best Documentary Short: Two Hands: The Leon Fleisher Story
Best Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth
Best Foreign Film: Pan's Labyrinth
Best Animated Feature: Cars

No comments: