Friday, February 23, 2007

Low Res Oscar Week: The Directors

Why, yes, it IS Oscar week. So glad you asked. I promise to to my level best to provide six full days of content, leading up to the big show on Sunday. It's my chance to pretend I'm a real, live blog.

So anyway, there are enough places on the internet where you can find analysis of the current Oscar nominees and who's going to win. Places that do it much better than I do. So while I plan on tossing up a predictions column by the end of the week, the bulk of my postings will be presenting my own personal ballot for the best of the year. Why? Because this blog is all about meeeeeee!

And if you thought I could resist calling these Low Res movie awards the Rezzies, well, you obviously overestimated me.

This installment: Best Director

Darren Aronofsky - The Fountain
Alfonso Cuaron - Children of Men
Guillermo Del Toro - Pan's Labyrinth
Paul Greengrass - United 93
Rian Johnson - Brick

Matches with Oscar: 1/5. The Academy's "Lone Director," Greengrass, was the only choice I agreed with.

Past Rezzie Winners: 2005: Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain); 2004: Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind); 2003: Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings: Return of the King); 2002: Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers); 2001: David Lynch (Mulholland Dr.)

Why These Five? Up until the last minute, Aronofsky was riding at the top of this list, while The Fountain was missing my Best Picture ballot altogether. Which I found kind of appropriate, considering how much I want to top my hat to Aronofsky for getting his film made, despite the nagging flaws that keep it from Top 5 greatness. Rian Johnson made a monster of a debut film that makes me awful excited for what he's up to next. Cuaron and Del Toro lived up to all that Three Amigos hype that turned pretty obnoxious pretty quickly (they're directors! And they're Mexican!). And Paul Greengrass managed to win me over with a 9/11 movie I wasn't entirely sure should have been made in the first place.

Who Wins? All five of them are worthy choices, I mean that sincerely. A great year for young directors. My pick is Cuaron, for crafting the year's most energetic, meaningful, hopeful, and sad picture of the year.

No comments: