Wednesday, January 03, 2007

SAG nominations

So I suppose I should take a shot at predicting the SAG award nominations. Look back to this post tomorrow and I'll hopefully have edited it with some post-nom reactions.

Best Ensemble
The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
Alt.: Half-Nelson

Went 4/5, missing Bobby where I picked The Queen. Not that I will ever understand how anyone can see anything award-worthy in Bobby. Certainly not the CASTING, which was among the most inept of the year.

Best Actor
Forest Whitaker - Last King of Scotland
Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness
Peter O'Toole - Venus
Ryan Gosling - Half-Nelson
Leonardo DiCaprio - Blood Diamond
Alt.: Will Ferrell - Stranger Than Fiction

5/5. Not bad, huh? Glad to see Sacha Baron Cohen not show up, to be honest. Much as I enjoyed Borat and laughed my ass off, all the awards talk has ended up overrating the film more than a little.

Best Actress
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Meryl Streep - The Devil Wears Prada
Judi Dench - Notes on a Scandal
Kate Winslet - Little Children
Annette Bening - Running With Scissors
Alt.: Penelope Cruz - Volver

4/5, with Cruz edging out Bening. This lineup looks to be coalescing into a pretty solid 5. No surprises yet.

Best Supporting Actor
Jack Nicholson - The Departed
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg - The Departed
Michael Sheen - The Queen
Jackie Earle Haley - Little Children
Alt.: Steve Carell - Little Miss Sunshine

2/5, only hitting with Murphy and Haley, as this category got all blown to hell. I missed Alan Arkin, Djimon Honsou, and Leonardo DiCaprio for The Departed. Leo's going for a lead nomination at the Oscars, but it still seems like vote-splitting on The Departed could damage Nicholson and (more probably) Wahlberg's chances. Still no love for Steve Carell this season, which is a shame.

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Husdon - Dreamgirls
Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal
Emily Blunt - The Devil Wears Prada
Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine
Rinko Kikuchi - Babel
Alt: Catherine O'Hara - For Your Consideration

4/5, with Adrianna Barazza bumping Emily Blunt. I'm still hoping Blunt can hold on for an Oscar nod, but it's looking difficult. Hudson, Blanchett, and Kikuchi look rock-solid, and Breslin's probably got a Best Picture nominee behind her. And I guess the O'Hara awards push is going to fall short, too. Pity.


Anonymous said...

Have you seen Dreamgirls? I haven't seen it, but I've heard quite a bit about Murphy's performance and I'm curious as to whether the praise is deserved.

Oddly enough, I've heard mostly negative things about the movie from casual movie goers, but they almost unanimously have praised Mr. Party All the Time, Party All the Time.

I enjoyed him tremendously in the criminally underrated "Bowfinger" and thought that all the screaming and fart jokes of "The Nutty Professor" (1996 version) greatly overshadowed the life and different personalities he gave as six different characters.

And, yes, I accept that I'm the only one who think this.

Joe R. said...

I actually saw Dreamgirls today. Most of my thoughts will end up on the sidebar, but I will say I was generally bored by Murphy's storyline, so the performance didn't really register with me. But I've heard from other people whose opinion I trust that he was quite good. The movie as a whole was very up-and-down, and I thought Eddie's parts were part of the "down."

In better news for you: the National Society of Film Critics agreed with you re: The Nutty Professor, because they gave Eddie their Best Actor award for 1996. Then they all retired from film criticism, of course, but still...

jessica said...

I saw Dreamgirls yesterday and found it a little thin overall. Hudson's performance is far and away the strongest, most compelling piece so I'm with you in that I wouldn't be upset over Oscar attention for her. I also agree with you re: "Listen" and Murphy's performance, which wasn't bad but probably didn't have enough meat in it to really resonate with me. In fact, while I found the film likable enough, I'm really kind of surprised at all the awards attention. Like I said, the story felt incredibly thin and often cliched to me, and the traditional musical numbers (outside of the performance numbers) were incredibly ham-fisted for the most part -- not nearly as seamless or natural as Grease, much less the likes of Oscar-winning Chicago.