Thursday, November 09, 2006

Movie Survey

From Nathaniel, by way of JA:

Popcorn or candy?
Yes. Please. One's not much good without the other.

Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.
Todd Solondz's Happiness. It's creeping up towards the top of my Netflix list, and I will end up seeing it, probably soon, but I'm trepidatious. Even the people I know who loved it are like, "...but it's disturbing." There's an animosity towards the audience that Solondz has that makes me not entirely psyched to see what he's up to.

You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?
You know, at this point, I've gotten enough material out of making fun of Crash that I don't even begrudge it the Oscar. It still doesn't deserve it, but what good does it do to recall the Oscar now? On the other hand, if we gave Scorcese the Oscar for Goodfellas in 1990 over Costner, it rectifies two evils -- 1) Marty's never won; 2) Costner has -- and it also stops everyone from freaking out this year if he loses again.

Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?
Oh God, I don't know. One of those top-hatted numbers Daniel Day-Lewis wore in Gangs of New York.

Your favorite film franchise is...
I'm going to count the Christopher Guest movies as a franchise and say that.

Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?
Tough! But fun. Okay...lemme think...okay, Meryl Streep, John Cameron Mitchell, Jenna Fischer, Mary McDonnell, and Billy Crudup. And then we'll all make a movie together (that's the "why"). And I'd serve more booze than you'd think possible, just to get them talking.

What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?
I was going to say just being that person is punishment enough, but those people have next to no self-awareness anyway. So the alternative has got to be that box with the razor blade hand-holes from one of the Saw movies.

Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days
Process of elimination: Sarah Connor is out because she's legitimately crazy and who knows when she'll decide I need to die to preserve the future? The Bride has her own agenda, so she won't exactly have my safety as priority one. Ripley's fierce and all, but didn't that little girl end up getting killed later on? Thanks, Ellen, but no thanks. Mace is cool and all, but her propensity for falling hopelessly in love with her emotionally unavailable clients is a hassle I don't need, no matter how attractively masculine she looks. Which leaves me with Mystique, which is fine with me, because she's a bitchy gossip in addition to a crack assassin. My kinda girl.

What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?
Mine is almost the exact same as JA's, but mine's from the American version of The Ring -- when the girl crawls through the TV. OHMYGOD!

Your favorite genre (excluding comedy and drama) is?
I haven't considered this one nearly enough, but I do enjoy myself a road picture. Not sure exactly why.

You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?
Nothing but remakes and bio-pics! Heh, sorry, I just made Nathaniel's heart explode. I'd get movie commitments from Wes Anderson, Zack Snyder, John Cameron Mitchell, Kimberly Pierce, and Richard Linklater. I'd get the crew from Wet Hot American Summer to make another movie. I'd lock Richard Kelly into a room and let him brainstorm for three days. I'd get HBO to agree to a twenty-episode commitment to adapting the Sandman series and Watchmen, Danny Boyle to direct the former and Paul Greengrass the latter. And I'd find primo lead roles for Emma Thompson, Mary-Louise Parker, Brian Cox, and Catalina Sandino Moreno.

Bonnie or Clyde?
Bonnie

Who are you tagging to answer this survey?
First one to take this on wins a special shout-out!

3 comments:

Natalie B said...

Glad I'm not the only one who loves Meryl Streep. That would be quite the dinner party.

missbanshee said...

Greenlighting the Sandman series is one of my ultimate fantasies. I agree with all your answers 100%.

Simon A said...

Damn. I left The Streepster off mine. (Am I allowed to call her The Streepster?) And also all those other awesome people.

Good call on more Mary Louise Parker roles, too.