Thursday, November 02, 2006

Book Survey

Ten questions, on the books we love and why we love them.

(I got tagged by ModFab)

1. One book that changed your life?
It's probably pedestrian or whatever to say a Stephen King book changed my life, but before The Stand I didn't like reading, and after The Stand I did. So much that I read it three times.

2. One book that you have read more than once?
I generally don't read books multiple times when there are so many books I haven't read once, but I've gone back to Peter Biskind's Down and Dirty Pictures many a time. So many dishy Harvey Weinstein anecdotes.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Because I'm a dirty cheater, I'd take all ten volumes of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. Less words, sure, but much more story to ponder.

4. One book that made you cry?
Michael Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World was very emotional (and I know I shed a tear or two when the movie adaptation got botched), but -- and this'll save me the blog post I was going to make about this anyway -- they're making a movie out of the children's book Bridge to Terabithia, and I will just say that this book is the saddest thing I have ever read in my entire life. Nobody made it through elementary school with their composure intact, thanks to Charlotte's Web and this book.

5. One book that made you laugh?
Oh gosh, where to begin. I'll tell you the last two that cracked me up were Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys and Pamela Ribon's Why Moms Are Weird.

6. One book you wish had been written?
This is something of an odd question, but I will say I wish Scarlett Johansson had put pen to paper in some fashion about that whole trip to the Celebrity Center Tom Cruise took her on when trying to woo her into being his M:I 3 co-star (and also his wife?).

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Hmm. Even books I hated I still think deserved to be written, if only to provide the contrast. I haven't read it, but I really wish Stephen King hadn't written a book about such a cranky grandpa concept as evil cell phones, I'll say that.

8. One book you are reading currently?
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Erik Larson's Devil in the White City, which is staring at me accusingly as we speak.

10. Pass it on.
Hit it, JA of My New Plaid Pants!


The Bloody Munchkin said...

Are we allowed to answer the survey here, or should I enter my answers somewhere else?

I'm just gonna start, Mmmkay. Let me know if I step on anybody's toes.

1. Hmmmm. I think I'm going to have to go with A Wrinkle in Time. My mom and I read that book together when I was the ripe old age of Nine or Ten. There's still something really powerful about that memory. Shortly after that, my father read The Hobbit with me, which was also a very powerful memory. Poor Andy Serkis had nothing on my father in the Gollum department, I'll tell you that much.

2.Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... I re-read it because I still haven't finished all the books in the series and I wanted to get back into from the beginning, that still hasn't happened yet. I re-read part of Middlesex, but because it is so thick, I've never read it through twice again. I might though. Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God. I haven't been able to Finish a Zora Neale Hurston book since, but I went through that one twice...

3. Probably Middlesex. Because A) long, B)very good and gives me a lot to think about.

4. Most recent book that made me cry was As Simple as Snow. No, I can't explain why, it just did.

5. Haikido Popsicle and Tokyo Suckerpunch own this question. Isaac Adamson is the man. I also laughed out loud during Running with Scissors at some very inappropriate moments...

6. I don't know. Good Question, I don't have an answer...

7. I'm probably in the minority here, and I get that it definately has some things to recommend it, but A Confederacy of Dunces. I just... can't get into it. I've tried on multiple occasions, but no...

8. I'm not, sadly. I must get myself a new book.

9. I still have a Hearst biography sitting on my shelf, mocking me terribly, but I just can't seem to get in the mood for a biography. I still haven't finished Fast Food Nation either. I should probably pick it up again.

Anonymous said...

Crap, you did tag me! Sorry, I'll do it today... I'm "slow", I even read this post the other day, but somehow, whoosh, right over my head there at the end. I love books! I like read and stuff, really.