Wednesday, October 11, 2006

National Coming Out Day

Look, I know I haven't been posting much lately, and that when I have been, I've been posting about sports which, judging by my stats and the dearth of comments, is not a subject that the majority of readers passing through here find all that facinating. I'm not going to promise to lay off the butchier subjects -- the variety and complexity of my many shallow interests will all be on vulgar display here so long as I can help it -- but I do hope when I get back to, let's say, frillier pursuits, y'all will still be around to read and comment.

As for today: it's National Coming Out Day, which I think we should all recognize and support, of course. I feel kind of queasy trumpeting National Coming Out Day considering how long it took me to drag myself out into these glorious open spaces. Today, I think I'll give a shout out to those out high schoolers and teenagers who have the balls to do what some cannot. I admire the hell out of that.

On the utterly and completely other end of that spectrum, can we start up some sort of holiday to encourage certain famous, rumor-dogged Scientologists to stay in the closet for as long as humanly possible? Would that be un-PC? I suppose that's not in the full spirit of the day, huh? Seriously, though, Kelly Preston. You're doing the Lord's work.

4 comments:

aaron c. said...

And, not ONE mention of the American Steel Industry, Joe? Too good for "Simpsons" references, now? I don't know you anymore.

Tara said...

YOU'RE GAY?!?!???!??!?!

Joe R. said...

Shit, I am so fired.

jessica said...

a) I like the sports posts, but it's not like I have a lot to say about the NFL. You refuse to speak college ball (the Bulls are not what I would call successful anyway), and I doubt you want my opinion unsolicited, so there you go.

b) I had no idea it was National Coming Out Day, but then I'm hardly on the cutting edge of that sort of thing. Or anything really. I wish I had something to come out with, because even if I don't qualify for the official nature of the day, I can certainly appreciate the spirit. Out with your secrets! They will only weigh you down.

c) Try not to discourage the chicks who sign your checks, dude. That's common sense. ;)