Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Trailer Trash: Jeez, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Let Someone Else Act

A couple previews that screened before I saw -- have you heard? -- Little Miss Sunshine:


Stranger Than Fiction



I've been looking forward to this one for awhile. Emma Thompson, of course. And Will Ferrell getting that perfect role that's both more serious than he's used to and yet still right up his alley. Everything that's been written about this movie lately seems to reference its similarity to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Which is understandable, I guess. I can draw the lines pretty clearly between Jim Carrey/Will Ferrell, Kate Winslet/Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Tom Wilkinson/Emma Thompson. But it's a big eight-ball to put a film behind, constantly comparing it to one of the best movies of the decade. Of course, it doesn't help when the damn trailer uses an ELO song -- just like the Eternal Sunshine trailer! Anyway, it's a great preview. Maggie Gyllenhaal screaming "tax maaaaan!!" cracks me up every time.



Trust the Man



Am I crazy to think this movie looks pretty good? I mean, Bart Freundlich is an infamously mediocre director. And David Duchovny looks to annoy me as much as he ever has. But on the flip side...Julianne Moore and Maggie Gyllenhaal look pretty delightful. And you all know I will follow Billy Crudup to the ends of the Earth or his next extramarital affair, and he's absolutely adorable in this clip.

2 comments:

Kamikaze Camel said...

Yes, Stranger than Fiction looks very good! Glad to see people like Ferrel and Latifah back in good movie territory.

Sticky Keys said...

Sranger Than Fiction is basically ESotSM + Being John Malkovich with a little bit of I ♥ Huckabees thrown in for good measure. I like that premise and anything where Queen Latifah is tolerable is a plus. I adore Will Ferrel so it's nice to see him kind of coming of age in a way.

You know you'll always get a "Hayle yeah!" from me as far as Billy is concerned, and I could just look at Eva Mendes for a very long time, but that movie doesn't look so great to me. Like a slightly comedic Closer but without Clive Owen calling people slags.

It can wait.