Friday, August 25, 2006

Short Form Friday: VMA A-okay

In honor of the upcoming MTV Video Music Awards -- a show I will probably not even end up watching or really care about beyond hoping that Pam and Stee will recap it again -- I present my choice for video of the year:



I think Nathaniel summed it up best: boys in makeup. It has an appeal. Beyond that, it's an impossibly catchy song and a memorable video at a time when that artform has been dying on the vine for years.

Some of my other favorite Videos of the Year:

Missy Elliott - "Work It" (2003)
Missy's whole body of work is worthy of its own post, to be sure. This one had all the usual Missy coolness/hilarity, plus that off-putting little white girl dancing around.

Jamiroquai - "Virtual Insanity" (1997)
I could never manage to peel my eyes off of this one. Trippy, but not disturbing.

Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonight Tonight" (1996)
Gorgeous. Sadly, it was all downhill for the Pumpkins from there.

Aerosmith - "Cryin'" (1994)
I LOVED the Alicia Silverstone series. Plus...is that Stephen Dorff? Teeny little sexpot. And Swayer from Lost as the purse-snatcher! It's STILL fun to see him get his ass kicked by a girl, even in retrospect.

2 comments:

Sticky Keys said...

The Alicia series of Aerosmith was the shizz, and Virtual Insanity goes without saying. Very interesting list.

I actually wanted to talk about The Inside Man though. I thought it was FANTASTIC! 100% a Spike Lee joint, a little too much going on, FANTASTIC SPIKE-ONLY DIRECTING SHOTS (seriously, when Denzel was panning after they thought the hostage was killed, my homegirl and I cheered and clapped. It's such a SL signature and we'd been waiting the whole movie for that and "This ain't no bank robbery!"

I thought the diamond thing was a bit hokey, I really wanted there to be more, but I think it ended well and I loved everything about Denzel and his partner. I also loved the dialogue, the New York state of talking about everything.

Jacob always goes on about the London Blitz and how someone heard a fire engine going and it reminded them that in the midst of this great war there were still mini everyday apocalypses happening in these people's lives.

To stil talk about race, and to talk about sexism, and corporate fraud, and blackmail, and all of that, in the middle of a very big situation, was one of the successes of the film to me.

I think it was subtle, but not at all boring, where were the lulls for you? Watch it again! Heh, I'm going to buy the DVD is how much I liked it.

Joe R. said...

I'm with you on the police dialogue. Very naturalistic, especially when compared to Clive's more theatrical words. I dunno, it just never turned over for me.