Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Emmys, If We Must

In these times of discord and division, it's been nice of the Television Academy to give everybody someting to agree upon. That being the fact that the 2006 Emmy nominations were a giant bucket of crap. Still, some (and I'm not saying I'm among them...yet) are thinking that the stinky noms might pave the way for some truly deserving winners. We'll see. But I've managed to grab onto at least one pony in each race to root for. The awards will be handed out, when, Sunday night? I dunno. Whenever Conan O'Brien shows up on NBC in a tux.

Grey's Anatomy
The Sopranos
The West Wing

Bearing in mind that I don't watch House...Grey's Anatomy was the only show among those nominated that I absolutely could not miss each week. It really grew into one of the best shows on TV in its second season, 100% guaranteed to make me laugh and cry within the hour. Every damn time.

Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Two and a Half Men

Top to (almost) bottom, this is a pretty strong lineup, especially considering there really are only three-to-five comedies on TV that are worth a damn anyway. The Office is the one at its creative peak right now, but I'd also be happy with (very unlikely) wins for Arrested or Scrubs.

Peter Krause, Six Feet Under
Denis Leary, Rescue Me
Christopher Meloni, Law & Order: SVU
Martin Sheen, The West Wing
Kiefer Sutherland, 24

Ugh. This one's a challenge. Kiefer's character has become so one-note and irritating as of late that I can't even take the performance seriously. I can't deal with Denis Leary and thus don't watch his show. I don't watch much L&O, but I liked Meloni on Oz. Krause is good, I guess, but by the end I hated his character a whole lot. Which leaves Martin Sheen. Who really should have won one of these by now anyway. Go Marty.

Frances Conroy, Six Feet Under
Geena Davis, Commander in Chief
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
Allison Janney, The West Wing
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

You shouldn't be able to get nominated for a cancelled show unless it was good. Sorry, Geena. And much as I love Allison Janney, she's won about a bajillion Emmys thus far. Frances Conroy hasn't won any, and she's been SO consistently good, and her show is fondly remembered. She probably won't win, but it'd be nice.

Steve Carrell, The Office
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Kevin James, The King of Queens
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

Here's one where I'm pretty sure the one I'm rooting for is the one who's going to win. Sorry, Steve Carell, I hope I didn't just jinx you!

Stockard Channing, Out of Practice
Jane Kaczmarek, Malcolm in the Middle
Lisa Kudrow, The Comeback
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Debra Messing, Will & Grace

Ouch. This is one sad-ass lineup. I barely watch anything on CBS, much less their situation "comedies," Debra Messing and Jane Kaczmarek are beyond yesterday's news, and The Comeback never did a thing for me, to be honest. I'll probably root for Stockard Channing just because I think she's awesome, even if I don't quite believe there's actually a show called "Out of Practice."

Alan Alda, The West Wing
Michael Imperioli, The Sopranos
Gregory Itzin, 24
Oliver Platt, Huff
William Shatner, Boston Legal

I'm not the world's biggest Imperioli fan, to be honest. Truthfully, I'm in the "anyone but Shatner" camp, but if I had a vote, it'd probably go to Itzin. President Logan really grew on me.

Candice Bergen, Boston Legal
Blythe Danner, Huff
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Jean Smart, 24
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy

Against most other competition, Jean Smart would get a long, hard look from me. But my Grey's girls are here and hogging up all my love. I think Sandra's gonna win, but I'll be pulling for Chandra Wilson.

Will Arnett, Arrested Development
Bryan Cranston, Malcolm in the Middle
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Sean Hayes, Will & Grace
Jeremy Piven, Entourage

Easiest call on the ballot. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but Will Arnett? Come on!

Cheryl Hines, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Megan Mullally, Will & Grace
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Jaime Pressly, My Name Is Earl
Alfre Woodard, Desperate Housewives

Toughest call on the ballot, and that's even after discarding Woodard and Mullally, two actresses I adore. No, this one comes down to Jamie Pressly and Elizabeth Perkins. Either one winning would be the coolest part of Emmy night. I told Tara last week that with my luck, Tyne Daly would crash the category and win. I'm not exactly ruling it out yet. That Lena Olin/Lauren Ambrose/Rachel Griffiths year still smarts.

The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway

Project Runway, Emmy bitches! Get with the program.

1 comment:

adam k. said...

Hey, Commander in Chief was a good show for most of its run. Or maybe it's not and I somehow fell for it anyway. Why did I love it enough to buy all the episodes on iTunes? I got addicted, I did. It didn't deserve to be canceled. I want Geena Davis to win because I love her.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Jane Kaczmarek win just cause she's never actually won this category. I wish she'd won the year Patricia Heaton won the second time. Oh well. Seriously, though, if all the Housewives can be snubbed and Lauren Graham STILL be snubbed, she will never ever make it. They hate her.

And what is with the inexplicable 2.5 Men love? Why not Gilmore Girls? Or even just nominate Will & Grace and Eric McCormack one last time. At least that would've made sense.

Do you really think Project Runway will could win it? I hope so.