Wednesday, August 16, 2006


I no longer feel guilty about loving Justin Timberlake. I might still feel a liiiiittle bit guilty about loving "Sexyback," but that's fading as well, because that tune is a jam and I like it more and more each time I hear it.

Anyway, what's not to love about JT? He's hot, he makes super-catchy pop tunes, he got while the getting was good w/r/t Britney Spears. Yeah, okay, there's Cameron Diaz, but the Saturday Night Live performance (especially the Punk'd spoof) more than makes up for it.

My latest reason for loving J-Timby? He hates Taylor Hicks! WOO!

“People think he looks so normal, and he’s so sweet and he’s so earnest, but he can’t carry a tune in a bucket,” Timberlake told Fashion Rocks, a supplement of Vanity Fair. Timberlake also thinks that Hicks’ fame is fragile. “If [Hicks] has any skeletons whatsoever, if God forbid, he’s gay, and if all these people in Mississippi who voted for him are like [then he takes on a thick southern accent], ‘Oh my god, I voted for a queer!’ It’s just too much pressure.”
Was that last gay comment a bit weird? Yes it was. Will it fuel several months of "Justin is gay" rumors on gossip blogs? You betcha. I don't care. We're soldiers on the same side of a battle now. Get your sexy on, Justin!

[Tip of the hat to Josh and Josh Are Rich and Famous for pointing me to the story.]


Sticky Keys said...

Joer, why did you ever feel guilty about loving Mr. JT? You were stereotypically predetermined to love him and all of the *NSync, BSB, 98 Degrees triumverant! Some preconceived notions are okay to roll with!

Oh well, it's good to have you on board, though only those who are loyal are truly rewarded.

that bootleg guy said...

"...if God forbid, he's gay..."?

Wow. I mean, I can imagine using that "if God forbid" line if you're going to follow it up with something like "he's got two weeks to live" or "he gets hit by a bus", but "he's gay"? Has 'gay' always been one of those apocalyptic, worst-case-scenario thingies or is this some sort of Mike Piazza backlash that I missed?

Kate said...

I think the "God Forbid" comment may have been meant a little sarcasticly. You know, like, "God forbid I should attend my daughter's wedding in a dress she doesn't approve of!" (this should be said in my Grandmother's Brooklyn accent). I mean Timberlake was in the same band as Lance Bass so presumably he's not a total homophobe.

Anyway, it's nice to know that other people share my opinion of Mr. Hicks' talent...or lack thereof. I'm as smart as Justin Timberlake!

Oh hell, just kill me now.

Michelle said...

On a somewhat tangential note, good to have you doing recaps for Studio 60! I'm not a big fan of Aaron Sorkin, but the cast looks decent. There's not much else on Mondays at 10 anyway, so I'll watch it by default and look forward to your spin!

Joe R. said...

Thanks, Michelle! I'm looking forward to it as well.

IDriveATruck said...

I have boundless love for JT and TH so I will excuse JT's obvious lack of judgement w/r/t TH.

That said, if the ''God forbid he's gay'' came from anyone who didn't grow up seven seconds from the scariest part of Mississippi, I could find offense. JT being from Memphis makes the comment one hundred percent true. But no less sad.

sarah said...

You know what I like about Taylor Hicks? He's smarter than your sorry blogging ass. And I don't like Taylor Hicks. What a fucking moron you are. It's sad when a knowledge of pop culture substitutes for any real knowledge. You are such a tiny tiny tiny little fish in a teeny little pond. Who the fuck cares what you think about anything? Answer: no one. And by the way? you are by far the worst recapper TWOP has ever had. Frankly, you're a bore.

Joe R. said...

Thanks for reading!