Monday, July 03, 2006

Take That, Boston Legal!

Emmy nominations get announced on Thursday, and the likelihood is that most of my current favorite shows and performers will be passed over in favor of shows and performers that were good about three years ago. That's just the way it goes. I know Tom O'Neil at the L.A. Times' site has been shrilling his shrill about new voting procedures which might give the smaller critical darlings a chance, but I'll believe it when I see it. For now, here's the Emmy ballot as I'd like to see it. Drama categories only, considering I'm all-Office, all the time as far as the comedies are concerned.

Best Drama
Battlestar Galactica
Big Love
Grey's Anatomy
Veronica Mars

**I think Deadwood might be ineligible for Emmy consideration this year (scheduling idiosyncrasies), but whatever. My list.

Best Actor
James Gandolfini - The Sopranos
Julian McMahon - Nip/Tuck
Ian McShane - Deadwood
Edward James Olmos - Battlestar Galactica
Timothy Olyphant - Deadwood

Best Actress
Kristen Bell - Veronica Mars
Ginnifer Goodwin - Big Love
Mary McDonnell - Battlestar Galactica
Chloe Sevigny - Big Love
Jeanne Tripplehorn - Big Love

Best Supporting Actor
Garret Dillahunt - Deadwood
Victor Garber - Alias
Robert Knepper - Prison Break
Max Pirkis - Rome
Frank Vincent - The Sopranos

Best Supporting Actress
Tricia Helfer - Battlestar Galactica
Sandra Oh - Grey's Anatomy
Polly Walker - Rome
Kate Walsh - Grey's Anatomy
Chandra Wilson - Grey's Anatomy


mathan said...

Interesting. I think that you overlooked (and possibly never viewed) the amazing Thief starring the ever remarkable Andre Braugher.

I'd also give Forrest Whitaker a nod for his supporting role on The Shield which was riveting.

And while we're on the topic of FX programming, you've got to explain how anything remoted associated with Nip/Tuck could be nominated for any Emmy. The show was shite this season.

But I agree with your love for HBO's programs and Grey's Anatomy. I'll take your word for Mars and Baattlestar.

Um, yeah. I'd check out Andre and Forrest's work if you get a chance, through some technological miracle.


I hereby nominate you as an EMMY voter. I would pee my pants if they were ever wise enough to notice Battlestar Galactica but given their treatment of the instant classic Buffy (which was, importantly, never lacking in critical praise and "Nominate This Emmy Idiots!" media coverage) methinks they just aint never gonna get wise to "genre" fare.

Sticky Keys said...

Kristen Bell needs to be able to act before she can be considered for nomination. It would be great to show Battlestar some love.

Ginnifer Goodwin? Really? She's great in that ensemble, and she's wonderful on the show. Maybe as supporting actress, but she can't hold that category by herself. Jeanne is pretty much an auto shoe in, but I would love to see Chloe get a nom. Chloe has been pwning the world this season and is totally deserving. She's been weird since The Brown Bunny so I like to see her doing things that aren't Vicent Gallo.

I don't know any more of those people! TV and I have a complicated relationship.

Joe R. said...

Mathan --
Yeah, Best Actor was a tough one for me. I dropped 24 and Everwood this season; I don't watch House or The Shield or Rescue Me. Or Thief. Even when Nip/Tuck is bad, Julian McMahon still really good. But this was easily the weakest category.

John G said...

Of course, love your list (but I'll have to take your word for the BG noms...I need to Netflix this show stat). Too bad Deadwood didn't air during the eligibility period - the show deserves a nom at least and Ian McShane should have his face embossed on the Best Actor statue regardless of eligibility periods. Long live relevatory blowjob soliloquies! All three Big Love women deserve noms, agreed, and I'd have to pick Chloe as the one of the three to win (though I'd rather, if such a nom list as you pose here happen, their votes cancel out each other and Kristen emerges victorious). I have a feeling the Boston Legal love may be over (PLEASE!) but I think when the noms are announced, there'll be a lot of Sopranos love going on (good enough for me) and sentimental West Wing action (grrr). Hope I'm wrong about the latter.

John M said...

I'd love to see Kristen Bell get nominated, but I certainly won't be holding my breath. The Emmy voters love the familiar and played out.

I see one more West Wing or Sopranos nom, I'm going nothing. But still, I'd like to see The Office, Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, and Big Love get some well-deserved noms.

Embrace the new, Emmy voters, or at the very least, shows that aren't well past their expiration date.

wolfchick said...

ALL Office, Joe? Surely Scrubs and the final season of Arrested Development deserve to share the love -- Big Love, comedy style.