Friday, July 28, 2006

Short Form Friday: Dance, Makeup, Dance!

Blogger extraordinaire ModFab pointed me in this direction the other day, so all due credit to him, but Stylus Magazine did a list of the top 100 music videos of all time, YouTube links and all. And it's a good list, let me tell you. Almost all my favorites are in there -- Madonna's "Like a Prayer," Guns N Roses' "November Rain," The Killers' "Mr. Brightside."

As with any list, there are entries I wish were there that are not. As I started to think about it, in fact, there were a whole bunch -- the unfortunate side effect of everybody in the world not thinking the exact same way I do. I know, right? Making my favorite music videos into a weekly(ish) feature on the blog seemed an appropriate remedy. And since there seem to be quite enough "Music Video Mondays" in the blogverse, I figured I'd cheat and offer "Short Form Fridays." Splitting semantical hairs is so hot right now.

This week's entry is a modest one. Not my very favorite video of all time, but one I'm quite fond of. It's also one that deserves an argument in its favor, considering it's so often overshadowed by its older, more historically important (yet not as fun, if we're being honest) sibling. I'm speaking, of course, of Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible." Sure, we always hear about Palmer's "Addicted to Love" video. It came first, after all. And it was the title of a Meg Ryan/Matthew Broderick movie that somebody must have seen. Sure, "Addicted" was the groundbreaker, but it was "Simply Irresistible" where Palmer's nameless femme automatons really got their chance to shine. Shimmying toward the camera five abreast like the world's most overly-shellacked girl gang. Doing a badly choreographed swim dance. Bending over for a better down-the-shirt shot. It took a second video for Palmer's ladies to find the fun, I think.

Honestly, watch it again. If "Addicted to Love" is a slightly uncomfortable comment on the interchangeability of women in the music video medium, "Simply Irresistible" is a pretty funny joke at the expense of such a notion. Or else it's just four more minutes of busty women with too much lipstick dancing poorly. Oh, the dancing! It's just so hilarious. There but for the grace of God goes your mom.

3 comments:

Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic said...

Man, one year a bunch of girls from my sorority went as Palmer Girls for Halloween. It was an easy costume. In many ways. (And no, I was not one of them. I twined blue yarn around myself and went as "Tangled Up in Blue.")

wolfchick said...

Dang. Why does everyone always have better Halloween costumes than me?

Don't answer that.

Anonymous said...

I can't see that video without thinking of two things: the Northern Exposure dream sequence with Fleischman as Palmer, and the SNL skit when Geena Davis hosted where the girls actually talked, all the while still grooving listlessly. Like most things on that show, it was funny for about 30 seconds.

Something else that list is missing? Prince. C'mon, Daft Punk shows up a million times, but there's no room for Prince?