Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Fun with Wikipedia

Among the countless ways in which I daily thank God for the wonder that is Wikipedia (motto: "Making obsessives work for YOU!"), there's the benefit of stumbling upon something like the definition of a "minced oath." The easiest way to define it would be when you say "sugar" instead of "shit," or "cheese and rice" instead of "Jesus Christ." Of course, by taking the un-vulgar way out of your verbal situation, you invariably sound hyper-folksy and funny. Which is why I use them so often when I write. And it's why Wikipedia's comprehensive list of minced oaths is such a joy to read through. All my favorites are there: "Jeezum Crowe," "gee willikers," "good gravy." The dagnabbit/dadgummit/consarnit triumverate is reprsented.

There are some eye-openers, too. "Gadzooks" is derived from "God's hooks"? Which refers to the nails that pinned Jesus to the cross. Oh, Christianity. And, as always with Wikipedia, The Simpsons is well represented, with "Jimminy Jillikers," "Jeebus," and (a favorite of mine) "holy flerking schnitt" on the list.

In a related story, yes I am at work. And yes it is a slow night.


mathan said...

I actually say "good gravy" in all earnestness.

Sars said...

I don't know who writes these entries but I had never heard a single one of those minced versions of "bullshit" in my life. (Except "bushwa," which I added myself.) No one says "bolshevik," come on.