Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Reeeead Me, Seymour! (Also, People Not Named Seymour)

Think about it for a second. You're Kevin, and all that that implies. You've had your cheeks pinched, you've been compared to cartoon chickens, and you're realizing more and more that they're laughing at you and not with you. The girls all think you're an actual doll. You want to look up to the guys in an older brother way, but Ace is always looking into a mirror, Bucky's busy mixing crystal meth in his basement, Chris is looking up whether Staind has ever covered a Buddy Holly song, Taylor reminds you of your creepy molester uncle a bit, and Elliott's five senses are deteriorating at such an alarming rate that he can no longer see or hear you. So who's left as a role model but Seacrest, who thinks that nothing makes you look quite as cool as busting on Simon. I'm just saying, it's no wonder the kid feels free to be a little bit of a snot from time to time.

I figure, for lack of a better posting topic, I might as well get my self-promotion on. Check out my latest American Idol recap: "Too Chicken Little, Too Chicken Late"

3 comments:

Sticky Keys said...

That's like, your most popular pull quote ever. It's all over the web man. Heh.

Joe R. said...

Rumor has it that it's been taking pull quote steroids, though. So don't be all that impressed.

That's cool to hear, though.

wolfchick said...

I was thinking about this today, actually, so I'm glad you posted this, even though my thoughts deal more with the title of your recap than anything else.

You know how much I totally adore the Arrested Development references. And while I think the correlation to Buster is hilarious, I was considering the possibility that Kevin is actually more like George Michael. Don't you think? Socially awkward and inept, but still kind of self-aware. Like he knows he doesn't fit in and that he's a joke, but that he has no way to work himself out of that rut, either because of his own failings or by virtue of the machinations and misdirection of those around him. And also that he's in love with his cousin. You ask me, Kevin had some seriously futile crushes up on that show.