Sunday, February 05, 2006

Some Weekend Housekeeping

[Sorry I haven't been posting as much here lately, people who actually read my blog. I've been keeping my sidebar fairly up-to-date, though, so if you're looking for something, anything to do besides actual work, you can check that out.]

Okay, first off, go watch me get all political and cinematical and up in Michael Medved's grill with my latest piece at The Film Experience. It's exhilaratingly obvious!

Also, I finally got to watch Space Camp this week. Sarah was totally right: Joaquin Phoenix is really annoying in it. But he's, like, ten years old and kind of looks like Wonder Years Jason Hervey, so we'll give the kid a pass. Once he lost the baby fat he became pretty cool (Joaquin, not Hervey ... duh). As for the rest of the movie, I have to say my favorite part was when they would up getting launched into space by accident. Or else the robot who saves the day. Or perhaps it was Kelly Preston, who did her able best to sport every single '80s fashion trend at once. The big hair, the Swatches, everything.

Honestly, I make fun of it now, but back in the day I was all about Short Circuit, you know? Fuckin' Flight of the Navigator. I would have devoured this movie back then. Even if I do continue to hate Tate Donovan with every fiber of my being. Lea Thompson, on the other hand, probably should have been in every single movie made in the '80s. She was perfect for the times. I continue to wonder how David E. Kelley hasn't signed her up for a nostalgia trip on some show of his. Bottom line: decent movie, for what it is. Even if it can't hold a candle to Adventures in Babysitting. Don't make promises you can't keep, Netflix.

7 comments:

hansen9j said...

I fricking LOVED Adventures in Babysitting. I actually got it a week ago on DVD as a 2fer along with Hot Shots Part Deux. Those two movies were probably half of my childhood.

Gail said...

I recently watched Space Camp, Adventures in Babysitting, and Some Kind of Wonderful. The only one that didn't suck was Adventures in Babysitting, possibly because of Thor. Which is odd, because when I was a kid I thought all three were awesome and could only be topped by Goonies. I don't get it - what's the attraction of Leah Thompson? She's boring, mousy, and plain. Even the annoying talking robot was more interesting.

Thought Criminal said...

Am I a huge nerd if I still love Flight of the Navigator?

Joe R. said...

Yeah, but in a good way.

Thought Criminal said...

Ah, I see.

Cool.

Rowen said...

Joaquin Pheonix was in Space Camp? I had no frickin' idea!!! And I used to love that movie!! Well, at least when it came on Saturday afternoons and the four other children in my neighborhood were off doing something else. Go fig. Hell if I can remember the plot line.

Judi said...

Everything you wrote in this blog is exactly correct. On like, a much deeper level than anyone who did not live through this time could know. Especially the part about Kelly Preston. Man, the pressure to be just like that was too much for any girl. I only had one Swatch, myself. Those things were mad expensive. Nowadays all you have to do to be a desirable teenaged girl is starve yourself and act like a bitch. The '80s were much more complex.