Monday, August 08, 2005

What I'm Thinking Riiiiight . . . Now.

I’m somewhat surprised at how sad I’m feeling about Peter Jennings's passing. What I mean by that is, I was never an evening news person. I didn’t “grow up with” Jennings - nor Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw – as my window into the national news. I got my information elsewhere (if at all). And yet, the idea that network news now exists without those three giants is sad to me. It’s like I’ve had this Jungian nostalgia implanted in my brain.

Besides this phantom feeling of loss, though, it makes sense that I’m feeling bad. I liked Peter Jennings quite a bit when I did watch him. I’d always opt for him over Rather and Brokaw during the across-the-board-coverage times. He was the guy I watched for hours on end on September 11th. Maybe it was his soothing Canadian voice, I don’t know.

In other news, I’m four minutes away from having to make the decision to watch or not watch this new Adam Carrolla show on Comedy Central. Not that I think there’s a chance in hell I’ll actually enjoy it, but I’d like to be at least well informed as to why I don’t like it. Of course, the alternative is thirty minutes that are blissfully Carrolla-free. Can you imagine being stuck in the same room with, like, Carrolla, Jimmy Kimmel, and Bill Simmons? No wonder Sarah Silverman is so nasty.

8 comments:

Carlie said...

I personally think that Jimmy Kimmel kicks ass.

Tipsy McSwiggans said...

I personally think that Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla lick ass. (FYI i hit the period key really hard at the end of that sentence for added emphasis)

bri c. said...

Why did you have to throw Bill Simmons into that sentence????

Joe R. said...

Oh don't even start me on Simmons. He's been working my last nerve lately. Couldn't even get half of his "Anchorman" quotes correct.

As for the Carrolla show: I watched as much as I could. I was expecting "Man Show" levels of offensiveness. What I got was too boring to even try for offensive. It was like a drive-time radio show without the crass stunts and cock-rock songs to liven it up.

And this show takes place in what year again? Because I can't quite remember the last time jokes about traffic, product disclaimers, and Asian nail salons were new or interesting.

It's a good thing Adam's got that smooth, soothing voice to balance out all the inane blather. Oh, wait . . .

Carlie said...

from a stoner website:
(the title of the post is simply "Too Late with Adam Carolla")

If you haven't watched it, DO IT!!! stoned. peace. *flashes two fingers*

JL said...

And you're surprised Carolla is unfunny because...?

Joe R. said...

Not surprised so much as . . . gratified.

Preston Reeves said...

It''s quite impressive.