Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Mutant Enemy? For Real

So this whole deal with the third X-Men movie has me sort of freaked out. And it bugs me because this is the one movie that really messes with my cool. I can make fun of the Superman movie and Mission: Impossible 3 because I think they’re both gonna blow. I’m not so invested in the Firefly mythos that I can’t envision Serenity crashing and burning. Even Batman Begins leaves me more or less clear headed when I think about how it’s going to turn out.

But X2 was so damn good, and the prospects for a third film were so promising, that I tend to really geek out over the ups and downs of the state of production. Which leads me to the fact that Matthew Vaughn is now apparently off the film for “personal reasons,” and for once I actually think that means personal reasons and not “was sick to damn death of dealing with Halle Berry and her contract negotiations.”

Fox is still psycho obsessed with doing the film and having it ready by next summer, though, which means that the script Vaughn had worked on should still be in effect as well as the cast additions (Kelsey Grammer as Beast, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut). They just need a new director.

AICN mentions the director just might be someone whose name was floating around the project awhile back. So, of course, the Internet just exploded with “OMG Joss Whedon dood!!!1” talk. Which I really wish they’d calm down about because this whole slobbering over Joss thing is kinda sad and it makes me feel like an idiot for being a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan in the first place. Bottom line, kids: we don’t know if this guy can make a real movie or not. Serenity is going to have to tell that tale. And even still . . . I mean if the last season of Angel was any indication at all as to where his talent is at these days? Yeesh.

For now I think I’ll just comfort myself with the fact that Dawn of the Dead director Zack Snyder was also once attached to the X3 project, so maybe he’s the one they’re looking for. Let Joss cut his teeth on Wonder Woman. I don’t much care if Lynda Carter starts rolling in her vat on contact lens solution. Just leave the damn Phoenix alone.

1 comment:

Carlie said...

I am sooooo excited about X3. I watch X2 constantly. And I'm not even a comic book or sci fi fan!